12/12/09 vs. 7/12/09 Upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by abdm, Jun 15, 2009.

1. abdm macrumors member

Hi Everyone,

So, I got the iPhone 3g on launch day last year and it is part of a family plan. My upgrade date when I go to store.apple.com to preorder a 3gs is 12/12/09. I've seen in the forums that a lot of people are reporting a date of 7/12/09. Does anyone know why the dates are different?

I've heard rumor that it is based on how much you spend a month, but I don't think that can be the case. My bill has been around $260 a month, so I'm pretty sure that is on the higher end.

Any ideas?

Thx

2. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

Im guessing your not the main line and you have to stick through at least 18 months into your contract before you can upgrade at a lower price

3. Oman macrumors regular

I have this very same issue, I have a family plan which is in my name and MY GF and My son is on the plan. When we went to buy the iPhone last year, the AT&T folk were having trouble porting my number over from Sprint, so another rep put my GF phone on the account first, now her phone is elgible for an upgrade on 7-12-09 and mine is not elgible until March of next year.

So, I too think that the first phone on the family account is the one elgible for the early upgrade and all other phones have to wait 18 months or more. I called ATT once and tried to get them to explain it to me and they could not, atleast the reps I spoke with could not explain it.

4. Munitalp macrumors 65816

Thats indeed how it is, mine is the same way too. I have 3 of the iPhone 3G's and only one is upgradable on 7/12 all the others are March.

5. abdm thread starter macrumors member

There isn't much logic in this approach. This kinda stinks as I have 3 phones on my plan. The primary number is under my name and is my blackberry. I've got another number which is my iPhone.

Seems strange that they'll only upgrade the primary number on 7/12.

6. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

If that were correct it'd stink, but neither is in fact correct. Here's my situation.

Wife and I bought our 3Gs upgrading from 2G on 8/4/2008. My wife's phone was replaced 2 months later (thanks AMEX) because of a cracked screen. We're on a family plan with a monthly bill of $175.

My phone which is the primary is upgrade Eligible at 18 months - Jan 2010.
    My wife's phone which is the secondary is upgrade Eligible 8/4/2009.

This disproves the cost theory as I'm paying plenty. Also disproves the Primary/Secondary theory. It makes no sense for my wife's phone to be upgrade eligible as her phone was REPLACED 2 months after it was bought.

I guess one is better than none...not sure what I'm gonna do in August - I could upgrade her line and swap the SIMs out, but we'll see if I'm that motivated for a video camera...

7. sesnir macrumors 6502

I'm guessing you did an "early upgrade" to get the 3G? You can only do an early upgrade once every 18 months according to AT&T.

8. abdm thread starter macrumors member

Was it an early upgrade....I upgraded from the original iPhone the day the 3g came out.

This entire process is a mess in my eyes....

9. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

FYI, you can change which number is your main line on the AT&T Web site. It likely won't help you at the moment, but may in the future.

10. khkman22 macrumors member

How do you do this? I was looking, but didn't see any option.