Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shankar2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
Hi 9to5mac site is reporting that Apple is going to restrict ECG use on s4 watch via software location etc in their 12.2 ios n watchos update.

Unless tested for this silly restriction I would suggest watch owners to not update Watchos and ios to 12.2.

Reactions: StumpyBloke

sslade6752

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2015
Best I can tell the location is only important during the setup process. Because it would not make much sense if you couldn't use your ECG app when you're on holidays overseas, right?

The article said it Apple was going to crack down on geofencing but didn’t say for 100% if location matters after setup. But if apple lets you use a feature or device not medically approved in the area you are currently at. That might cause issues with the local government and apple

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012
The article said it Apple was going to crack down on geofencing but didn’t say for 100% if location matters after setup. But if apple lets you use a feature or device not medically approved in the area you are currently at. That might cause issues with the local government and apple
So you‘re saying if I buy a ECG device I want/need for my health, I’m not allowed to use it on holidays because of government reasons? Can‘t believe that.

Eduardot

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2013
Well if that really happens, that I cannot use the EKG function outside the states, I will sell the Apple watch and move to Samsung.

ddsdude

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2009
Well if that really happens, that I cannot use the EKG function outside the states, I will sell the Apple watch and move to Samsung.

Can’t you just stay on iOS 12.1.x and on watchOS 5.1.x? I plan to do that if that’s what it takes to keep ekg.

MALmen

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2011
This might also be to preparing for enabling the feature in more countries. As the same model of the watch is sold in many countries geolocation might be required to enable ecg in only certain countries.

shankar2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
So anyone installed 12.2 on ios and new update for Apple Watch and check if ecg works?

Rsauerf

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
I have a Apple watch bought in USA and I use it in Brazil. I updated both iOS to 12.2 and WatchOS to 5.2 and the ECG function didn't stop working. By the way, my iPhone is a 7 plus bought in Brazil.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.