iPad Pro 12.3 Updated fixed Unresponsive touch issues.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TheRealAlex, May 16, 2019.

1. TheRealAlex macrumors 68000

Just wanted to share. Super responsive now. Will update if it changes.

2. AutomaticApple macrumors 65816

AutomaticApple

Touch issues fixed for me too.

3. TheRealAlex thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah I even tried the old fall asleep during text input that always triggered frustrating multiple taps to have characters be recognized again in a text window. And perfectly responsive came right back.

4. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Thank you for sharing.
    I was somewhat forgiving to this issue but as the frequency of the issue increased I grew more and more frustrated.

5. mikzn macrumors 65816

mikzn

Interesting - thanks for the post - updating iPad 12.9 now - crossing fingers :)

6. atmuwben macrumors member

With 12.2 I noticed no further unresponsive scrolling issues.

Good to hear these type of issues are being solved.

7. tps3443 macrumors 6502a

tps3443

Nice to see apple fixing this all together. I wonder how my first (2) iPad Pro 11” models would have done with these updates? I had those long before 12.2 was even out. So, I’m wondering if there was really a problem at all with the hardware.

Oh well. I’m just glad apple is working this out.

8. Davefevs macrumors regular

Davefevs

Had no idea there was an issue....thought it was my old IPP 1st gen showing it’s age. Off to d/l 12.3 now.

9. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

sitting on a beach watching a DC simulation ...
    Can't say the same. :(
    It is better however I usually see this after an update. Degradation generally starts within a couple of days or sooner.

10. DragonX macrumors regular

Exactly! On my end as well :( worked for 15 minutes on 12.3 and then all the problems came back.
    I think there’s a separate software issue with keyboard and they may have fixed it in 12.3. And then there’s a general hardware problem for the rest of us, when random parts of touch screen stop working due to problems with manufacturing.

11. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Strangely, or maybe not, when my screen stops responding to touch (Pencil still works), if I lightly flex the unit or reboot it works again for a while.

At this point I have about 90% of touches register correctly.

12. DragonX macrumors regular

It sounds a little bit dangerous but maybe you're right. There is a theory that iPad is too thin and when it is even slightly bent during normal operation the touch screen gets easily disconnected from the motherboard and it is getting worse over time.

13. mikzn macrumors 65816

mikzn

To me it’s a screen issue and still happening even after the update 12.3 :(

So not fixed yet and definitely an issue with the keyboard and certain parts of the screen.

14. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

After a couple of days my IPP 12.09 G2 screen is pretty much back where it was ... frequently unresponsive to touch. :(

15. mikzn macrumors 65816

mikzn

maybe 12.4 will be the fix :)

16. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

One can hope ... o_O

17. AutomaticApple macrumors 65816

AutomaticApple

Or iOS 13.

18. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

What device are you on

19. TheRealAlex thread starter macrumors 68000

11” Pro. From Launch day.

20. muzzy996 macrumors 6502

So far I’ve been enjoying my 2nd gen 12.9 more like I used to lately. After getting rid of my broken ASK (was giving random device not supported errors) and putting on a Logitech one I noticed a big drop in response issues. Then when news of 12.3 update broke I installed that and saw the typical snappy improvement new updates bring. So far so good. I do still lean towards hardware though (and suspect that my having a case on it is relieving some pressure on a sensitive loose connection or something).

21. tps3443 macrumors 6502a

tps3443

I want to go back to 12.2... I’ve never experienced a touch issue with my iPad Pro 11” for nearly 3 months..And now I update to 12.3 and I’m feeling this loss of touch response in pubg Mobile. I just noticed this. Not gonna work for me.

Can I roll back an update?

Or maybe I’ll remove my screen protector. Man, 12.2 was the best! The only issues I had were screen protector related. Which 12.2 fixed it! But now, 12.3 is causing some problems for me that I have never seen with this device..

22. Davefevs macrumors regular

Davefevs

I might be imagining things, but my IPP appears to be more responsive to typing when not on charge? Anyone Sampled this over a longer period?

23. mikzn macrumors 65816

mikzn

I always use my iPad Pro 12.9 “unplugged”, never when it’s connected with the charging wire - if that’s what you mean.

In my case, all of the problems happen when it’s “not connected”

24. DragonX macrumors regular

I experience this issue for over a year on 2 separate iPads. Charging does make it worse.
    There are numerous threads on ifixit, YouTube, amazon, here, Apple forums with tons of different theories. One of them (connected to charging) is that there’s a hardware problem with how iPad distributes static electricity.

25. Dave-Z macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty convinced it's a hardware issue at this point. I want to replace my 12.9" 2nd Gen. but I don't know what to replace it with (iPad-wise) because it seems that all the newer models are also demonstrating this issue.

My spouse has a 10.5" iPad Pro 2nd Gen. and it works great--no touch issues and no white spot. There's also another family member with the iPad 6th Gen. and it works great as well. My iPad Mini 4 works. My 12.9" iPad though, sucks.

I can't bring myself to replace it because I simply don't know that this isn't going to happen again, which it probably will. I think, for me, I'm done with Apple products until these issues are addressed.