12.5mm hard drive in 2011 mac mini?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by heliocentric, Aug 17, 2011.

1. heliocentric Guest

Thinking of buying a mac mini :)

is it possible? i have a spare one lying around...

Thanks

2. DJC631 macrumors member

DJC631

From my disastrous attempt last night (RIP IR Connecter) I couldn't for the life of me get the damn thing in. So I would have to say no. But, I could be missing something.

3. ACiB macrumors member

I've seen some videos on YouTube upgrading HDD without tinkering with the logic board. As for the thickness, everything is pretty tight, so I don't think there is any space for anything over 9.5mm. I'm gonna get the Samsung 830 which is 7mm, maybe you could do that to and then go with your 12.5 see if that works

4. Edge macrumors member

12.5mm drive will fit

I had a 12.5mm high 1TB drive in the secondary bay (with an SSD in the main bay.) It was tight, but it fit. I used hair elastics to cushion it. (I do not have the screws/rubber grommets, and doubt they would line up correctly.)

5. ankh macrumors member

> 12.5mm .... a tight fit

Hm, elsewhere there's discussion about using a single 15mm WD 2TB drive -- nobody had actually installed one at last report.

Is it even possible to fit one 15mm drive in the Mini, if it's the only drive?

6. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Here's an imagine from ifixit showing you how much room you have for the hard drives:

http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/lR1QgnCGH5qWSqVW.large

It looks like theoretically you could fit 2 12.5mm drives, but I think the max realistically would be 1 - 9mm and 1 - 12.5mm. Even better would be to go with a Samsung 830 (7mm) and a 12.5mm drive as previously stated in this thread.

7. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire