12.5mm Recommendation for Hard Drive Enclosure?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sparkomatic, Jan 11, 2012.

1. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

I have a WD Scorpio Blue 2.5" HD that I was using in my MBP. I'm now using it as a backup drive but having a hard time finding an enclosure that'll work with the 12.5mm drive height.

Does anyone have a recommendation? I bought one from Oyen Digital through Amazon but had problems with it and had to return. With SuperDuper!, it would back up to 737GB and then fail every time. Strange.

Anyway, I'd like to get one through Amazon but I've heard good things about OWC's enclosures. If those are the best ones, I'll just order through them.

Thanks for any advice!

2. iforbes, Jan 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  3. sparkomatic thread starter macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

Thanks for that!

I guess I didn't word my post correctly but do appreciate the links!

Do you have any experience with these enclosures? I thought the one I got from Amazon was good but it ended up not working right. So, I was hoping someone here had first hand experience with one they could recommend.

4. iforbes macrumors 6502

Ah...gotcha. I do not have any specific experience with these enclosures, however, glancing through the reviews, it seems that there is at least one person happy with the vantec/scorpio blue combo...

"I bought this case only because it was reviewed elsewhere as being able to hold the 12.5mm 1TB Scorpio Blue drive. It does, indeed, and works flawlessly. I use the drive almost daily for backups of my MacBook pro and haven't had any issues over several months of heavy use. I don't own any USB 3.0 ports so cannot comment on the speed increase." (taken from amazon reviews)

5. sparkomatic thread starter macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

6. iforbes macrumors 6502

7. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

I used this enclosure:
    http://www.inxtron.com/portable-hard-drive-enclosures/sk-2500-800plus

You should use a compatible external power supply for this enclosure.

InXtron (was MacPower) enclosures are reliable, IMHO. I use also two SK-3500 Super-S3 (they come already with external power supplies).