iPad Pro 12.9 Charcoal Gray Silcone Cover going back.

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by MartyCan, Apr 4, 2016.

1. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

I noticed today that there is a split on one of the corners of my Silicone back cover for my 13" IPP. I was pretty surprised as I am not one to take it off and put it back on. I put it on when I bought it about a month after getting the IPP a few days after they were released and just left it there. Not that big a deal but 4 months is pretty quick for such an expensive piece to "fail" already in normal use.

Having taken it off now too I realize how much weight it actually adds to the IPP and I'm thinking I just want to return it and not get a replacement. At least if Apple will do that. If they will only exchange it I'll have to go with that but I'll probably only use it rarely.

Tried to get a picture to show it....(That is the dog's blanket in the back ground. Sorry!) Anyone else had this happen?
    image.jpeg

2. David58117 macrumors 65816

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Ouch. Hope Apple takes it back. I do think the back case is quite heavy. I picked one up at an Apple Store, decided it felt pretty heavy, and went looking for other options. Got a TPU case from Amazon I'm happy with.

5. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

6. MaulRx Suspended

Smart Case adds too much weight for sure but the over flap of the cover bothers me more.

7. friedmud macrumors 65816

My 12.9" iPP fell out of my backpack the other day. 5 feet (I'm tall) straight to concrete on one corner.

Why haven't I posted a terrible picture of the carnage? Because the Apple Silicone Case and Smart Cover did its job! The case was absolutely mangled on the corner... but the iPP is perfect.

That could have been really bad.

I'm not usually one for cases (don't use them on my iPhones) but something about the iPad has always made me accident prone with them... so I always use at least a thin shell. This time I went for the silicone case... and man am I glad I did!

8. stlredbird macrumors 6502

stlredbird

Yikes. What is the return policy on cases? I have the same back and smart cover on my 12.9 and love it but i do worry about wear and tearing.

9. RevTEG macrumors regular

RevTEG

I'm sure Apple will take care of the case for you. They've always taken care of any problems I've had over the years. While you're in there ask Apple why they didn't release any new case colors for our 12.9 ipp like they did for the 9.7 version. I have the gray and I think it's just ugly (just my opinion). I guess it's better than the "get nasty" white though.

10. artfossil macrumors 6502

artfossil

Just one of the reasons I love the Apple case. It has a substantial lip which means a good amount of protection from a fall onto a corner or onto the front.

11. MartyCan thread starter macrumors 65816

MartyCan

Since I removed the back cover I find the reduction in weight remarkable. I am always toting this around the house with me.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 5, 2016 ---
    By the way, thanks for relocating this to the accessory forum. I don't post many new threads and forgot about all the sub forum categories.

12. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Not only the weight, but the thickness as well. That is why I've been using my iPads (since the Air 2 and now 12.9 Pro) with only a smart cover/smart keyboard and carefully placed clear Con-Tact paper on the back for protection against scratches and better grip.

13. HiItsMe macrumors 6502

Did they replace the case for you?

14. Avenger macrumors 6502

Wow. Such an overpriced case and it splits like that? I won't be getting one for my iPad Pro 9.7. Might as well buy something inexpensive.

15. felixen2121 macrumors newbie

Wow. I just came in here to check if anyone else has this problem. I just spotted the same flaw on mine about an hour ago.

Really disappointed. The price for this thing is outrageous. Only had mine since the middle of February.

16. MartyCan thread starter macrumors 65816

MartyCan

I haven't had a chance to go to the store yet. Probably won't until the weekend at least.

17. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

I'm pretty sure it's the same 14 day return policy with 1 year warranty.

18. felixen2121, Apr 6, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2016

felixen2121 macrumors newbie

Tried to exchange mine for a new one today. No luck :(

I got it as a gift and don't have the receipt. I live in Denmark and we don't have official Apple Stores here. Instead we have Humac, which is a "Premium Reseller". Unfortunately, they won't exchange without a receipt.

The back cover alone was almost 100 euros. I also have the Smart Cover. So all in all it is quite expensive to cover up an iPad these days.

I think I will have to tell Apple about the problem with the case. Does anybody know of a mail address I can reach them on? I can't seem to find a relevant one on Apple.com.

19. Mac2me, Apr 9, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2016

Mac2me macrumors 6502a

I have the white case and cover and it's actually still looking good, just like my iPhone 6+ case in white which I've had since the phone came out and has been handled and thrown in my purse and such and still looks pretty pristine without much of any care or even wiping down. With the 12.9 being larger than my iPad2 I just felt like I needed the solid protection for it so bought at time of iPP purchase. I would however love to have color choices for it. Not sure if they will bother thoguh, thinking it's a business iPad more than personal so won't invest in colors for it. I use mine for personal use and really would love the extra choices. Really dislike the big black blob of the apple logo on the case. Not subtle look and the apple is huge in that contrasting color. But that's me. Hubby came home with an apple t-shirt the other day and it has a pretty huge apple logo on it. Yuk.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 9, 2016 ---
    BTW looked and no problems with the silicone corners or such on my cover. Did notice my husband's silicone iPhone 6+ cover (in black) was cracking at the corners. His phone cover also had a more tacky feel to it than my white phone cover and we both got ours at the same time. He does pull his phone out of his jeans pocket all the time every day so it does get way more wear than mine. When I asked about the damage to it he told me that he dropped his phone several times so damaged the cover but said it also protected his phone from breakage. So any chance you guys might have dropped the cover on the corner?

20. MartyCan thread starter macrumors 65816

MartyCan

21. felixen2121 macrumors newbie

Nope. Definitely have not dropped my iPad Pro either.

I rarely take it out of the case at all, and have only had both the iPad and the case for a few months.

On the other hand I have an iPhone 6, that I take out of its official Apple leather case 2-3 times per week when I go running. No cracks in this case at all.