iPad Pro 12.9 Gen II Pro LTE and this "Embedded Apple Sim"

Discussion in 'iPad' started by A.R.E.A.M., Jul 1, 2017.

1. A.R.E.A.M. macrumors regular

Ipad will be here Monday.

I have the original Pro 12.9 LTE. AS you Apple cats know, it didn't have this embedded sim. Now the Gen II model does.

I use the 12.9 LTE Pro Gen I on a T-mo data line (unlimited-included with the TMO-One Plan). I want to use the GEN II Pro on this plan.

I read there is an additional Sim Tray on the 12.9 Pro GenII model (is this true?), so I could just put the TMO sim in there..

BUT...

am I able to use the embedded Apple Sim already in the machine with my already setup TMO plan? OR is there some hoop jumping involved?

Background: Android User. The Pro (Gen I) is my first apple device (the PRO Gen II is my second), so I don't fully understand the Apple ecosystem in regards to this Embedded Sim...

2. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

You should be able to just use the embedded SIM in your new iPad. I previously had the 9.7" iPad Pro with the embedded SIM, at the time of purchase I was on TMO. I simply had to call TMO and they went through the setup with me and got it up and running in no time.

No additional SIM required until I switched to Verizon and then had to add a Verizon SIM.

3. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

I just threw in my existing TMobile SIM from the Air 2 and started using it.. Didn’t bother with the embedded one. But, either way is fine

4. A.R.E.A.M. thread starter macrumors regular

5. nybear31 macrumors newbie

nybear31

Verizon is the only major carrier that doesn't support the embedded sim.

6. seadragon Contributor

This is all we get in Canada with the embedded SIM. I've never even heard of these "carriers" and they're certainly not mainstream here. Totally uselesss. :mad:

IMG_0048.jpg

7. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

Pop out the carrier and add a SIM card for your carrier of choice. You should then be able to set up a new plan or add your iPad to an existing one.

In my case I just added the Verizon SIM and added it to my existing Verizon account.