Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kajje

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
Asia
I used to say FAIL to this device.

But... Imagine all the nice apps that are going to be launched on this device. Photoshop or Illustrator with a mouse on a 21 inch on the desk, or with a stylus on a 12 inch right in front of me.

It will take some time to get used to, but even the haters will have to admit, the latter *is* a more natural position.

So Apple might be on something here!

rgraf77

macrumors member
May 8, 2014
I would be interested in this. I would buy a pressure sensitive IPAD in a heartbeat so I can use it as a drawing tablet like a Wacom cintiq companion 2 which only runs windows.

Reactions: mgipe

'Dorian

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2014
Where it's warm
A larger iPad is such an odd product to me. The iPad is a hold with your hands product, and I feel like the 9.7 inch iPad is the right size for that. Larger screen means heavier most likely, so arm fatigue is a factor.

Eventually it seems to me that Apple is going to have to introduce some built-in way of propping up the device (don't call it a kickstand, i.e. Surface).

Even if it were double the weight of the iPad Air 2 it would be around the same weight as the original iPad, which I used for two years without ever experiencing any type of fatigue.

zarusoba

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2006
Australia
What's the point if it doesn't run OS X?

If it could attach wirelessly to a Mac or PC and be used as an external display, that could work well.

As a pro illustrator, I dumped my Mac/iPad for Cintiq Companion/Galaxy Note 3, but I would consider switching back if it had this feature.

Not holding my breath.

D-Dave

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2010
When I see that image of the on screen keyboard I immediately start to grind my teeth in anger...top row numbers not on normal keyboard (with alternating characters when using shift) but on the alternative layout...sooooo stupid as it is just different from the way any normal keyboard works...I can not see any logic reason to do it that way...well, maybe someone at apple is a traditionalist and wants to keep the mistakes from the past as they make him/her feel all nostalgic...

mektobat

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2015
Samarinda, Indonesia
Have you ever used a Wacom Cintiq? Use one once and you'll see why using an iPad for design is like finger painting. Don't get me wrong, I love the iPad in its current form, but I'm very intrigued about this.
Can Waqom Cintiq recognise text you write using a stylus and convert it to digital writing so that you can edit it later with a keyboard? AFAIK Wacom Cintiq is only for drawing. CMIIW.

I've been waiting for iPad Pro especially because of the default apple stylus to support my writing activity.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
Can Waqom Cintiq recognise text you write using a stylus and convert it to digital writing so that you can edit it later with a keyboard? AFAIK Wacom Cintiq is only for drawing. CMIIW.

I've been waiting for iPad Pro especially because of the default apple stylus to support my writing activity.
That functionality is built into OSX (based on the Newtons pretty excellent handwriting recognition) - but it relies slightly on you modifying your handwriting to suit it's character detection. I used to be really fast, but nowhere near as fast as my typing speed. That already works on the Cintiq. :)

I've never heard of a handwriting recognition solution that can learn everyone's handwriting well. I tried an option for iOS that was pretty interesting though.. I feel like if apple gets a legitimate stylus based tablet someone will support it fast, but maybe not at the OS level? Would be ace to see Apple bringing inkwell back to Apple tablets though.

Reactions: mektobat

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Even if it were double the weight of the iPad Air 2 it would be around the same weight as the original iPad, which I used for two years without ever experiencing any type of fatigue.
First, I don't think everybody would agree with you that using an iPad hand-held for long periods doesn't cause fatigue.

Second - mechanics 101: even if the weight is the same, the physical size makes a difference if you're holding it in one hand (presuming you're using the other to operate it) because the centre of gravity is further from your hand, and so the torque on your hand is greater. Essentially - you're holding the end of a longer lever.

Plus, if you think people look stupid holding their regular iPads up to take pictures... :)

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
First, I don't think everybody would agree with you that using an iPad hand-held for long periods doesn't cause fatigue.

Second - mechanics 101: even if the weight is the same, the physical size makes a difference if you're holding it in one hand (presuming you're using the other to operate it) because the centre of gravity is further from your hand, and so the torque on your hand is greater. Essentially - you're holding the end of a longer lever.

Plus, if you think people look stupid holding their regular iPads up to take pictures... :)

Yeah I have a Galaxy Note Pro 12.2, and there's no way you can grasp that thing one handed for long. Instead you have to cradle it in your arm, like one might do with a clipboard or notebook. It's pretty comfortable that way though, even for long periods.

Last edited:

tuibanana

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2015
pacific
I would so love this so much. It would be great for music. It would actually place some of the engraving apps into competition with more "serious" engravers.

I would love to read magazines without constantly resizing .

Love to watch things on it!

Would be great for everything.

Some OS integration would be nice (not all that effin messaging stuff but more unix-like flexibility -- i know, but this is a place of wishes).

I am going to go out on a limb and say, I would also like phone functions with it! Yep. It wouldn't be too awesome to put it up to my besotted face every time, but with things like apple watch and headphones, it might be my iThing of choice.

The only thing I'm actually seriously worried about, is whether to jump in with 1st gen or kind of gleefully await the 2nd generation, which, I'm guessing would be due in (something ridiculous like) 10 months?

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I don't buy this claim of an iPad Pro. Not in the sense of how its being presented as having super souped up specs that presumably won't be in the others.

an XL model of the lineup with the specs being what the whole lineup (including i would hope the Mini) has, yes I can buy.

UltimaKilo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
FL
Chico, I think it's not that far off, but I would agree that a complete replacement of my desktop/laptop is not happening this year.

I just think that what you and I are both waiting for wont come until post-Cannonlake, maybe Cannonlake's successor or thereafter. In any case, it's just a matter of time. Dale Camagüey.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
A lot of people clamoring for a truly pro iPad (aka Mac slate) from Apple. I just want to write my thoughts on why I really don't think it's going to happen any time within the next several years. For a Mac slate, the issue isn't hardware. Hardware-wise, all Apple has to do is create something similar to the MS Surface Pro 3, which I think has the hardware as close to perfect as can be expected. So that answer already exists. It's software that's the problem. A pro touch tablet needs an ecosystem of pro touch applications, not an ecosystem of dumbed-down iOS apps, and not an ecosystem of touch-unfriendly OSX applications, which is all we have at the moment. Somehow getting developers to redesign all the thousands and thousands of existing OSX applications so that the interfaces can switch between touch and non-touch depending on which device it's running on, seems almost impossible for even Apple to do. And building an entirely new ecosystem of desktop-level applications designed for touch seems even more improbable. Perhaps the demand for such applications is growing now that the multitudes have become accustomed to and fond of touch interfaces on phones and tablets, and are possibly starting to want the same experience "ported" over to their computers. If the demand grows enough, a true pro Apple tablet and an ecosystem of pro touch applications will come to pass by necessity. But I don't think it's close to that point yet.

Side note - Touch tablet use is more about preference for the majority, but who this situation really sucks for is those who need pen input on Mac applications on an ultraportable device (note-takers, composers, artists). Right now, they have to either use neutered mobile apps, or stay chained to a desk with their Macs and Cintiqs. Or switch to Windows... -_-

Apple could create a hybrid iOS-OSX device (like the SP3) in the meantime if they thought it worthwhile, but obviously they haven't so far, and I don't think they will any time soon for two reasons:
1) Out of principle they probably believe a smaller, lighter iPad is a better experience for casual consumption than a large 12" 1.75 lb. tablet; and a light and sturdy clamshell laptop with a nice keyboard and trackpad is a better experience for desktop applications than a subpar keyboard/trackpad cover which flaps around and has to be used with a kickstand on larger and flatter surfaces; and those advantages collectively outweigh the advantages of a hybrid, which are that you save about half a pound of weight in your bag (when including the keyboard cover), and you save probably a few hundred dollars.
1b) Apple probably wants to keep those few hundred dollars.
2) I'm not a tech expert, but from what I've read, the problem is the type of processors iOS apps and OSX applications run on. iOS apps run on ARM processors and OSX applications run on x86 processors and they are incompatible. So I'm led to assume that in order to make a hybrid device that runs both app ecosystems, Apple would need to include both processors in the device. That's kinda nuts. I'm not aware of any devices--especially mobile devices which need to stay thin and light--that have two different kinds of processors. I imagine implementing two processors would create an overly-complex and therefore bulkier-than-normal tablet, which would put it at a disadvantage to the SP3 right out of the gate. Not to mention, I'm pretty sure having a different processor for each set of apps also means the device would have to be rebooted each time you wanted to switch modes, which would be cumbersome. So I suspect this technical hurdle is a big reason why Apple has so far stayed out of the hybrid market, and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

This last point makes me wonder about Windows mobile apps though... Are they not ARM-based? Or can they somehow run on both ARM and x86 processors?

So anyway, at this point, all I can really hope for in the immediate future is for iOS and its applications to grow in functionality and work more seamlessly with their OSX counterparts.

sigh3434

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2015
A lot of people clamoring for a truly pro iPad (aka Mac slate) from Apple. I just want to write my thoughts on why I really don't think it's going to happen any time within the next several years. For a Mac slate, the issue isn't hardware. Hardware-wise, all Apple has to do is create something similar to the MS Surface Pro 3, which I think has the hardware as close to perfect as can be expected. So that answer already exists. It's software that's the problem. A pro touch tablet needs an ecosystem of pro touch applications, not an ecosystem of dumbed-down iOS apps, and not an ecosystem of touch-unfriendly OSX applications, which is all we have at the moment. Somehow getting developers to redesign all the thousands and thousands of existing OSX applications so that the interfaces can switch between touch and non-touch depending on which device it's running on, seems almost impossible for even Apple to do. And building an entirely new ecosystem of desktop-level applications designed for touch seems even more improbable. Perhaps the demand for such applications is growing now that the multitudes have become accustomed to and fond of touch interfaces on phones and tablets, and are possibly starting to want the same experience "ported" over to their computers. If the demand grows enough, a true pro Apple tablet and an ecosystem of pro touch applications will come to pass by necessity. But I don't think it's close to that point yet.

Surface Pro has no software to go with it (the Microsoft app store is a joke of trojans and hasty ports), but it is infinitely better than anything Apple has ever made if you are an artist. The gestures don't work very well, it's all about the stylus, and being able to interact with the non-optimized apps with your fingers (much faster workflow).

OS X does perfectly fine with touch. I use a cintiq with a macbook pro for my work. all applications work great with touch, especially the force touch trackpad. There are ways to hack digitizers on macbooks, but why wouldn't apple ship a native solution? It's simple enough to do that I can install (not that I'd risk it).

After using the Surface Pro line for a couple years, I find myself instinctively touching the macbook's native screen, and feeling like an idiot when nothing happens. The cintiq solves a lot of issues, but it is really a problem to travel internationally with basically two huge laptops, and a bunch of accessories in my backpack. I would to have just one device.

iPad Pro is literally worthless to me without native OS X support, and at least 8GB of RAM. Nobody has been willing to develop enterprise level apps for iOS because of the hardware limitations. There is a photoshop/affinity design killer in Art Studio, but you can't have more than 5 layers of 2000x2000px images, and it lags a lot when you have even one.

Apple is never going to convince developers to make good mobile applications that make use of touch efficiently without allowing OS X to run on the iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.