iPad Pro 12.9 iPad Pro 2018 like second display/graphic tablet with MBP 2014

serg111

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2019
Hi!

Guys, who use iPad Pro 2018 like graphic tablet(second display) with MacBook Pro 2014, I need help...
Which soft and cable/adapter you use?

Thank you for help!

mikzn

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2013
Vancouver
I purchased Duet APP to use with the iPad 12.9 with a rMBP 2015 when I travel - it uses the TB / charger cable to connect.

Suggest you try the demo version first - I have not been able to get it to work after upgrading to Mojave - it gets stuck in mirror mode - which is not what I wanted - I was looking to extend the desk top.

FWIW - Does not work well for me - gave up on it after upgrading to Mojave

serg111

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2019
Thank you!

I also plan to buy Duet Pro app, but I don't understand which cable I need to connect iPad to MBP.

Do you use cable like this?:

spacebro

Suspended
Oct 1, 2015
I had stopped using duet on my 2017 iPad because it will not charge while connected. Just tried it again with my 2018, it will now charge while connected. However, the touchscreen doesn't work. The touchscreen used to work, you could essentially run Mac apps with a touchscreen interface. It appears that no longer works, duet lets the iPad work as a second display, but only with trackpad support. I'm not going to use duet because it doesn't support touchscreen anymore and the connection is flaky and disconnects after like 5 seconds if you switch to another app on the iPad. Duet "works" but because of these problems it is not useful to me.

Soccerrick10

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2019
I used my first and second gen 12.9” iPad Pros with both my 2014 MBP and work Dell laptops on USB to lightning cables with Duet. But, over the past year or so it became less and less reliable.

I just upgraded my iPad to the 2018 version and my MBP for a 2018 Mac Mini. I’m now using Luna Display with either WiFi or USB-C connection. I used my Samsung tv to help set up the system. But, since my usage is 95% iPad and 5% Mac, I am using the iPad as my only display.

It is a great solution, works surprisingly well and gives a glimpse of what an iPad running Mac OS could be.

I highly recommend it as a second display and if your use case is similar to mine, it works well as a single monitor too.

Last edited:

AlexJoda

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2015
Also using Duet with Mojave and Windows. It works again but only with the newest version! Luna looks interesting too but I need the Windows connection. Hope they release it some day....