12.9 ipad pro...old vs new

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Dentifrice, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Dentifrice macrumors 6502

Hi,

I'm trying to find what are the differences between old and new. Anyone know ?

If I'm buying the old one, I'll buy a used so I can save money.

To buy the new one, considering the price, features have to be awesome

thanks

2. gobikerider macrumors 68000

gobikerider

The new one has brighter more colorful Promotion 120hz display that brings down pencil latency from 50ms to 20ms. 120hz also makes everything really smooth. Also it has Truetone now. To drive that they have a new A10X Fusion chip with 6 cores. It's performance is really awesome read this. New cameras are nice touch as well. What I'm more curious is how the new ones will hold up battery wise, we will have to wait for Monday I believe to see reviews. Overall if your buying a new iPad for the first time I really think the 2017 model is worth the full asking price of 799.

3. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

In more detailed addition to what the OP was asking for 2015/2017 comparisons:

The new 12.9 Pro also has 600 Nits of brightness (2015 12.9 had 424 Nits), which is a nice upgrade . The new 12.9 has a lower reflectivity of 1.8%. (2015 Pro had 2.6%) for better viewing/reading conditions.

4. gobikerider macrumors 68000

gobikerider

I somehow forgot these little but important details

5. d5aqoëp, Jun 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2017

d5aqoëp macrumors 6502a

d5aqoëp

Little details and key differences. (Old vs New)

1. Old 12.9" has max 150 Mbps LTE. New one is 450 Mbps LTE-A with 3CA (3 carrier aggregation)
    2. Old one cannot sync at USB 3 speeds even though it has capable hardware. New one will sync at USB 3 speed as mentioned specifically by Apple during the WWDC keynote.
    3. Dual core vs. Hexa core with Big-Little CPU config.
    4. Bluetooth 4.0 vs. Bluetooth 4.2
    5. Touch ID v1 - iPhone 5S era vs. Touch ID v2 - iPhone 6S era (as per internet but unconfirmed)
    6. 38.8 Wh battery vs. 41 Wh battery.
    7. Weight 713 grams vs. 677 grams.

6. gobikerider macrumors 68000

gobikerider

CPU is HexaCore (6) Touch ID is confirmed Gen 2 and curious but how is it lighter? I think it's the same 1.5 pounds?

7. canesalato macrumors 6502a

canesalato

it's actually a little lighter despite having a larger battery and the same size. =)

8. gobikerider macrumors 68000

gobikerider

Great now I have to buy this thing any other amazing improvements they didn't mention during the keynote.

9. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

they moved the microphone to the top. So purchase accessories wisely :p

10. Dentifrice thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok guys...buying the new one in that case!
    --- Post Merged, Jun 10, 2017 ---
    another question, apple smart keyboard is nice but no backlit and it doesn't protect the back of the ipad

which other keyboard would you recommend ? logitech ?

11. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

12. Dentifrice thread starter macrumors 6502

13. dantracht macrumors regular

dantracht

Same question for me! I just pre-ordered a new 12.9" pro, I have a magic keyboard that I use with my soon to be retired Air 2, should I use that with a smart case or splurge for the smart keyboard?

14. Wildkraut macrumors 6502

I was in the Apple Store yesterday. I have to admit, I noticed a minimal faster scrolling and a faster app minimising and maximising animation, but thats all. Drawing wise, no benefit of 120Hz in ProCreate.
    In my opinion, there is an improvement, i could see it, but it does not worth to sell the 12.9 1st-gen and pay +400Euro (Germany) for the 12.9 2nd-gen.

15. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

I too was comparing the new and old together in store today. Yes, on paper the new spec is impressive, but close up? For me personally i couldnt justify a shed of money on it. I really couldnt see past the sales hype to justify it. The screen was lovely and all that, but very VERY similar in use to the first gen. very close.

Yes its better, but not noticably massivly better. But thats only me :)

16. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

Doubles it in thickness too. I like the idea of the backlit keyboard, but the Logitech model basically doubles the size of the iPad. I figured I would see how I got on with the Smart Keyboard, before going the Logitech route.

17. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

18. Pitchblack70 macrumors newbie

Pitchblack70

Wildkraut - Please - do tell more! I'm RIGHT on the cusp of deciding between the old 12.9 Pro and the new one. Budget's an issue for me, but so is Pencil latency. My intention - to use it for Procreate and potentially with Zbrush via my Macbook pro.

Is the older one still equivalent in drawing speed? And - what memory size is a minimum must? Thanks! :)

19. GMcMelbourne macrumors newbie

I was not personally a fan of the Apply keyboard. Not just that it wasn't backlit... I just wasn't a fan of the feel (and I tried it on a few different occasions). I ended up with a Logitec K811 and this is a FANTASTIC keyboard. Though you may have trouble finding one as they don't seem to make them any more. (I got one brand new in a pawn shop!) Nice feel (chiclet keys), backlit, senses your hands approaching keyboard and lights it, lasts for ages, rechargeable, can be used while charging, supports 3 separate devices at the touch of a button. It is also the "Apple keyboard layout" (unlike the K810) so if you're used to an Apple keyboard on a Mac you'll love it! Used with a folding smart cover, you can position the keyboard and screen separately to suit where you're sat. Perfect!