Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kanders78

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2015
Kansas
hey I have had my iPad for several months now and it showed a lot of wear and tear early on on the Smart Keyboard where I am holding it. Anyone else seeing the same thing?

Attachments

• BB5D90FF-F8B2-4E90-AE15-CAE1941CA58D.jpeg
    BB5D90FF-F8B2-4E90-AE15-CAE1941CA58D.jpeg
    893.6 KB · Views: 306

RedlegsFan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
This is a known issue lots have experienced. Mines doing this as well. Some have said Apple will replace while others have said Apple refuses to replace as its cosmetic wear. But I think this issue has everything to do with Apple and lack of quality on this item.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
hey I have had my iPad for several months now and it showed a lot of wear and tear early on on the Smart Keyboard where I am holding it. Anyone else seeing the same thing?

I had the very same issue. my local Apple Store replaced it. I do have Apple Care. I don’t know if that had anything to do with it.

RedlegsFan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
has anyone without Apple Care gotten it replaced? If so, was it difficult to get it replaced?

CookieMuncher

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2019

Try using a hairdryer on the effected area make sure its not too hot. Then place it on a flat table and put a heavy book on top of the folio and leave it for a few hours to cool down.

I did the same when i used slickwraps skin on my folio. When i removed the skin it pealed the silicone of the hard case and left a bubble shape around that area. I heated the silicone up and placed it on my table with a heavy book on top. The winking went away but i could still see a faint outline of the bubble shape.

RedlegsFan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
So, how wide spread is this issue, actually? I see a few threads on it, but nothing has really blown up. I see that Apple is replacing some, while telling others to take a hike. I need to take mine in for my 11 inch iPad Pro and report back, I just haven't had the time yet.

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
Got this on my smart folio where I hold it. Apple has clearly cheaped out on the material on these cases with the new pros. None of the polyurethane smart covers I had with previous iPads ever had this issue. Pretty galling when you consider Apple also jacked up the prices with this generation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.