12.9" iPad Pro USB to USB-C and 29W Adapter.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Rocket Man, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Rocket Man, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016

Rocket Man macrumors member

image.jpeg
    Using original extra lenght Lightning to USB plus USB to USB-C cable and of curse 29W charger.
    Charges much faster and I can use the longer cable. Sound like a win win? Also the tiny adapter is only $19.
    Am I doing it wrong?

2. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

Would not work. First, USB-A doesn't support the higher wattage. Second, the new cable has a special dual-sided Lightning connector, effectively operating with 16 pins, to facilitate fast charging (and USB 3 speeds on the new adapters).

3. Rocket Man thread starter macrumors member

Its charging relatively quick. Much more so than on a 12W adapter. Probably not as quick as wirhthe new dedicated cable

4. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

The problem is, without an app to indicate exactly how fast it is charging it is hard to remove the "subjective" element from the analysis.

It's really annoying that Apple removed the Battery Health app from the App Store.

5. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

"Battery Life" is another app that shows charging current (not input current, but net charge/discharge current). :)

6. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

It would be more useful know the voltage in this case though. For 29W charging, it's 2A / 14.5V. I believe the iPad Pro has an upper limit of 2.4A charging current (although this needs to be a confirmed by a proper expert).
    --- Post Merged, Apr 11, 2016 ---
    EDIT: OK I just downloaded the app and under "Raw Data" I do see a "Voltage". This is interesting - will test against my iPad Pro later. @Rocket Man you should probably try the same and post a screenshot of the "Raw Data" screen.

7. Rocket Man thread starter macrumors member

I ended up returning the adapter and getting a 2m Lightning to USB-C cable from apple.
    Screenshot here
    image.png

8. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

Hmmm... unfortunately it looks like the "Voltage" is for the battery rather than the charging itself, so it doesn't give any info about whether it's doing the "29W fast charge" :confused: oh well...

9. aberrero macrumors 6502a

ya, voltage is just a measure of battery charge level.