All iPads 12.9" vs. 9.7" vs. 7.9"

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Eric5273, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

I continue to read all these debates between the different sizes, as if one size is all around better in some way. I have had the privilege of having all 3 sizes, and figured I would post my experience and compare them...

7.9"
    I used the iPad Mini 2 for a couple of years, and I think this is this is the best size for most gaming. As it's the lightest, it's the easiest to hold in your hands for long periods of time. For this reason I also think it's the best size to use while in bed or while laying down. It's obviously also the most portable. For web browsing I found it to be a bit small in the portrait orientation and often had to turn it to landscape if I wanted to view regular (non-mobile) websites, which then cuts down significantly on how much of a web page you can see at one time. Also, sound quality and volume is not much better than an iPhone. I also really preferred using this size iPad when traveling and on a plane, train or bus. It's really easy to just put in your coat pocket and doesn't take up much space in your bag either.

9.7"
    I used the iPad 2 for a couple of years back in 2012-2013. I suppose this size is the best all around size. It's small enough to hold for long periods of time, but large enough to comfortably browse the web with. Gaming is also good on this one, although some fatigue does set in after a while from the extra weight over the iPad Mini. The new 9.7" iPads weigh less than the iPad 2 did, so this probably is even less of an issue than before, but there is still some extra weight over the iPad Mini. While my iPad 2 did not have split screen viewing back then, I did try this feature out with the iPad Air 2 in the Apple Store, and it is really cramped when trying to use 2 apps side by side that it is best for use in a pinch. You wouldn't want to sit there with 2 apps open for long periods of time, especially if one of the 2 open apps is Safari. But I could see using the feature to respond to a message or to check my email without having to close what I'm doing.

12.9"
    I now own the 12.9" iPad Pro. To begin with, it is somewhat useless for most games for 2 reasons. Most games with on screen controllers have not optimized the app for the large screen, so unless you have giant hands, it can be impossible to reach the controls with your fingers. Also, holding the large iPad Pro in your hands for long periods of time is NOT comfortable. Fatigue sets in after a short while. Now for the good.... The large iPad is best when used on a desk or table, or on your lap while sitting down or laying on a sofa.

Adding the Apple Smart Keyboard, it can indeed be a laptop replacement for many, including me! This coming week I'm going to put my MacBook Pro up for sale. I've decided to use the iPad Pro as my main computer. I still have access to a PC at work for the occasional task that requires a "real" computer (such as taking a file off a USB stick drive). Between the Microsoft Office apps and some other utility apps I've found in the App Store, I can do 99% of what I need to do, and I've decided it doesn't pay to keep my MacBook (or replace it).

I don't miss the 9.7" iPad at all, but I will admit that I miss the iPad Mini for gaming. So I have decided that when the iPhone 7 comes out, I'm going to try the "plus" model. I think with the large 5.5" screen, it will be close enough to the Mini that it should provide a good gaming experience.

What I would suggest to anyone debating which size to get is to look at your other devices and get something in the "middle". For example, if you already have a small laptop, then maybe an iPad Mini or 9.7" iPad would be a good fit for you. If you have an iPhone 6 Plus and an iMac but no laptop, then maybe the 9.7" or 12.9" Pro would be a good fit.

All of the iPads are great devices and they all are the "best" for one task or another.

2. Nhwhazup macrumors 68020

Nhwhazup

Get an Airstash USB for your iPad. It's awesome.

3. iregret macrumors 6502a

I have the 6+ and I don't care for the size. Next time I'm going smaller. I'd much rather have a laptop than an iPad Pro 12.9 and keyboard. I just picked up an iPad Pro 9.7" for note taking. The 12" iPad takes up too much desk space. Side by side action is fine for me on the 9.7. I wish I could use any app I wanted though. The Apple Pencil is amazing.

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

The 7.9 is too small.

The 12.9 is too big.

The 9.7 is just right.

5. richardmu macrumors 6502a

I have all three.

The mini 4 makes an ideal monitor for my dji phantom.
    The air 2 is a great general purpose tablet in use all the time.
    The larger pro is used for watching movies mainly. The keyboard
    and pencil are a nice to have but not used much.

6. ssledoux macrumors 6502a

ssledoux

What is this, what does it do and where can I find one? ;-p

7. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

While still not as good as the Air 2, I believe the speakers on the mini 4 are an improvement over the mini 2.

I have a mini 2 for carrying around with me to read books, use gps, and view the Internet, and an iPad pro with pencil for use as a whiteboard when giving lectures and as a math notebook.

8. Nhwhazup macrumors 68020

Nhwhazup

It is a USB flash drive that creates it's own wifi. So if you are in an area with no cellular service or wifi and you want to get photos, documents, etc. from your phone to a laptop, you can connect to any electronic device through it's own wifi and exchange documents. I've been in a group meeting where we all took photos with our cameras and needed to get the photos into a presentation to share with the rest of the class. I was able to pull all the photos on to my Airstash, plug it in my laptop and move the photos on to our presentation - all in just a few minutes. Our group was the hit of the class. I literally save all my work stuff on the Airstaff so I have all my documents with me.

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

The problem I have with the plus size iPhone models is that they are tall and narrow, making them feel unbalanced in my hand. I prefer the wider aspect ratio of the mini. It might not be a problem if you have bigger hands than me, but I just can never find a comfortable way to hold that thing.

Or, the 7.9 is a great portable device for reading ebooks and looking at maps on the go.
    12.9 is a great productivity device that shows A4/letter size pages at almost full size, and lets me get all my work done while sitting on my sofa.
    9.7 is the in between size that's not good at either.

10. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Interesting, I'm considering returning the 9.7 for the bigger one, but I wonder if I'll notice the screen differences. Considering the iPad auto disables true tone in photo apps, maybe not.

11. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

For me, nothing beats the way the mini fits right in the palm of my hand while providing full iPad functionality.

12. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

There. I fixed it for you.

13. BenTrovato macrumors 68030

BenTrovato

So funny to see people saying 12.9 or 7.9 is the perfect size and 9.7 is not. There's a reason they sell 3 sizes: perfect is different for different people.

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, if we are fixing...