Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
Ive waited forever to upgrade to the new Mac Pro. But, I see now one can buy a new 5,1 12 core for $2599 and obviously $2999 when new ones come out. For normal everyday stuff, safari, mail, few light programs, best to just wait for the new one? Does many programs even use the multicore except hard core ones? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Cisco_Kid

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2005
British Columbia
For normal everyday stuff, safari, mail, few light programs, best to just wait for the new one?

MacMini would do that trick, and save you a bundle.

If you have honestly no need for computational power, I'd save the cash. If a MacPro is something you just have to have because you can, I'd wait for the new one.

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
Ive waited forever to upgrade to the new Mac Pro. But, I see now one can buy a new 5,1 12 core for $2599 and obviously $2999 when new ones come out. For normal everyday stuff, safari, mail, few light programs, best to just wait for the new one? Does many programs even use the multicore except hard core ones? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

If you are unsure if you even need a MacPro or if what you do would benefit from one the answer is pretty simple…you don't.

Sorry if I come across harsh, but it's true.

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
I do need a Mac Pro. I currently have 3-30" ACD and 1-23" ACD hooked up to my old 1,1. Nothing else can drive all of these at once. Do I need all those displays, no but it sure looks cool. :)

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
get the mac pro. add a 780, pcie ssd, usb3 card and its a wrap for about 3 years with no need for upgrades. i have 2-27 cinema displays and a plasma running of my 12 core and its never even hiccups once. after effects and photoshop run like butter. going back to a mac mini or iMac as my main driver would make me go crazy. the lever on the mac pro is so liberating..easy access to all the components.

Last edited:

leon771

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2011
Australia
Don't forget with the new Mac Pro you'll need to budget in getting 3 x mDP to dual DVI adapters to run the 30's.

I believe you're limited to 3 screens with the new machine so you'll probably have to sacrifice the 23".

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
I think that's just 3 30" 4k displays. It'll be able handle the old ones just fine.

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008

As your only requirement that you have given us that needs a Mac Pro is the ability to drive your 4 monitors then I would suggest you wait for the nMP. Which as you say is your choice as it looks cool. You are right the 3 monitor limit is if they are 4K displays. 6 Thunderbolt displays can be driven so 4 monitors with the necessary adapters is possible. Going to use up 4 of those 6 TB ports however doesn't sound like you are going to use those anyway.

12 Core Power is wasted. Quad Core on the nMP will be fine and will use less electricity.
The main thing that you need the Mac Pro for is GPU connectivity.

Personally I would suggest that for what you need then could purchase a new 5,1 base model with the 3.2GHz Quad, 5770 GPU card. Add a second gpu card and then drive 2 monitors off each card, or purchase a single more powerful card to drive all 4 monitors off 1 card.

The money saved on the single processor etc compared to the dual processor will then pay for any additional upgrades, SSDs USB3 cads etc that you want to add in alongside the GPU.

Depending upon how comfortable you feel doing upgrades then any reason couldn't get a second hand 5,1 and save even more.

I bought my 5,1 second hand for £1000 as a base 2.8GHz Quad (2010) and upgraded myself to the specs below. ( I use for FCPX ) Still has Applecare till April on it if bothered about the warranty aspect. However if coming from a 2006 then the warranty long expired so not necessarily such a big deal for you.

As the current processor bump 2012 is still a 5,1 then OS support should last the same time as the 2012 12 core.

However as you are being driven by your wants then really is going to be down to what you want, rather then what you need. As others have pointed out, for your needs then a mac mini would be fine ( as you said you don't need the 4 monitor it just looks cool ) and is just your choice for the 4 monitors that means you need the gpu output capability of the MP. The nMP looks cooler then the cheesegrater so if being driven by wants then the nMP would seem to be answer, however is way overkill other then the monitor output capability.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
I bought my 5,1 second hand for £1000 as a base 2.8GHz Quad (2010) and upgraded myself to the specs below. ( I use for FCPX ) Still has Applecare till April on it if bothered about the warranty aspect. However if coming from a 2006 then the warranty long expired so not necessarily such a big deal for you.

Not with the Hexa-core CPU in it it doesn't. Apple with require that the original CPU be in it for AppleCare.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.