Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skywalker5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
So deliberating this, do I get the nMP with 6 core or maybe 8 core or a 2012 12 Core MP.

Im sure they are going to be similar in performance but I'd like some opinions to which way to go.

I do have PCIe cards to use regardless, and I need onine drives so the cost difference could be at least an extra $1k on top of the mac price differential.

thoughts ?

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
I do have PCIe cards to use regardless, and I need onine drives so the cost difference could be at least an extra $1k on top of the mac price differential.

I would think that makes it very simple. Buy the 12-core 2012 Mac Pro, unless you really want to be messing around with external PCI-e expansion chassis that may or may not work and may or may not provide enough bandwidth to keep your cards happy.

-SC

Reactions: ssgbryan

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
With a gut feeling I would say not to wait for the new Mac (mini) Pro.

What should be asked - what do you plan to do with the purchased computer?

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
thoughts ?

don't buy the 2012.. long term -> worse buy .. if the 6,1 will last til 2020, the 2012 will last until 2018..

unless there's reason to believe the 6,1 and the 5,1 will lose support at the same time.. i doubt it though..

not to mention the likelihood of new upgrade parts coming out/being supported in the mp1 has basically ceased now.. the new items that will be developed are being made for the nmp.

it's value as a re-sell_able item is going to drop quickly.. i doubt you'll be able to get 1000 for it in a couple of years from now.

this is a no brainer.. we're talking about computers, not music.. newer computers are always better than the ones which came before.. always.

Reactions: pat500000

echoout

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Austin, Texas
I'm in a similar situation and went with the last gen. I've used a Thunderbolt-oriented rig since summer of 2012 and it's miserable for what I do.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Worth considering is that the '12 can give you CUDA (in case you need it).

Although a lot of folks here will disagree: the old machine is a proven beast, the new one may have some issues rev A (and given some of Apple's latest offerings I'd defo wouldn't buy day 1 - so that should be taken into account as well imho.)

Reactions: ssgbryan

raniel

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
Ph
in case you decided to get the 2012 version, wait for the release of newMP (maybe a couple of weeks from now) to save some $$$

dkgross

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2004
seattle
aarrgh…I'm in the same damn boat.. My 2008 3,1 has served me well for my Logic and ProTools needs, but it's time to move on. I think the price point of the new beasts with added RAM and Drive space (and with new FW drive arrays, etc.) are going to climb VERY fast. Picking up a 3.43 6 or 12 core for under $3000 SEEMS like a good idea (just migrate one drive, transfer the other 3 internals), plug all the existing monitors, peripherals, etc., into the new machine and GO.

ugh…...

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
So deliberating this, do I get the nMP with 6 core or maybe 8 core or a 2012 12 Core MP.....

What software are you using? If the software uses OpenCL the nMP will be hugely faster even with fewer cores.

Anyone who developed software toe Macs needs to be using OpenCL. I think what is slowing some developers is the learning curve. You have to study it and do some experiments and this takes time. But we can expect Apple's ProApps, especially the upgrades that we KNOW will be released along with the nMP will all be using OpenCL.

dkgross

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2004
seattle
just another reason why I'm giving SERIOUS consideration to a new top line i7 iMac for my music and post needs.. Throw 32 gigs of RAM in there..add a TB drive array….Sill cheaper than a lot of mid-2012 12-cores I'm seeing online.. And it'll have Apple Care.

le sigh :)

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
We love the cMP around here but it is dying a quick death now. It's getting harder to support new graphics cards natively or with a decent driver. It's impossible to support the latest NVME drives. USB 3.1 is dodgy. There's no Thunderbolt. Most likely Sierra's successor will dump the 5,1.

The nMP is now looking like a good choice if you can find a good price for used models. It's also apparent that the 'multi-core' future still hasn't arrived and therefore per core performance is better than having lots of under-used cores. The nMPs are better in this regard than cMP. If you can get a cheap 4 core or 6 core model with an external Thunderbolt chassis with PCIE slots then there is no reason to buy a cMP at all.

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2013
Houston, TX USA
If you can get a cheap 4 core or 6 core model with an external Thunderbolt chassis with PCIE slots then there is no reason to buy a cMP at all.
Amazing thread necro, but since we're here... I've been doing research on this, but it seems that either these chassis are:

- really bulletproof so nobody complains or reviews them
- really expensive and really bulletproof, so small # of satisfied users aren't singing their praises, writing reviews, etc.
- or nobody's buying them.

What would you recommend for a multiple GPU setup?

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Amazing thread necro, but since we're here... I've been doing research on this, but it seems that either these chassis are:

- really bulletproof so nobody complains or reviews them
- really expensive and really bulletproof, so small # of satisfied users aren't singing their praises, writing reviews, etc.
- or nobody's buying them.

What would you recommend for a multiple GPU setup?

The chassis are all mostly very expensive so few people have them. I think only one person on this forum has one for GPU rendering. If I used one with an nMP it would be mostly for secure storage and file sharing across my network.

Actually my cMP now plays that role of being a secure file server. My MBP is more powerful for daily tasks so that is now my Mac driver. My PC workstation serves the most powerful needs.

I could replace the cMP with a Thunderbolt chassis if there is a good affordable option. I'd like something like the Node but with storage bays too.

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2013
Houston, TX USA
The chassis are all mostly very expensive so few people have them. I think only one person on this forum has one for GPU rendering. If I used one with an nMP it would be mostly for secure storage and file sharing across my network.

Actually my cMP now plays that role of being a secure file server. My MBP is more powerful for daily tasks so that is now my Mac driver. My PC workstation serves the most powerful needs.

I could replace the cMP with a Thunderbolt chassis if there is a good affordable option. I'd like something like the Node but with storage bays too.
Could you coax the person with a chassis to chime in here?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.