12-Core Classic Mac Pro vs. 2018 Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jardins de Vin, Jan 11, 2019 at 1:08 PM.

1. Jardins de Vin macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

I currently have a Mid 2010 Classic Mac Pro 12-core 2,93 GHz. I have 32 GB of RAM, not a very good graphics card (I think a 5870) and a Samsung SSD with 512 GB + some other HDDs.

I am thinking of swapping it with a Late 2018 Mac Mini i7 3.2 GHz. That Mac Mini gets better benchmark scores than my MP:

https://browser.geekbench.com/mac-benchmarks/
    https://logicbenchmarks.com/benchmark-results/

Do you think this is a good moment to get rid of my MP, which at some point will become obsolete obviously? Or do you think the Mac Mini will age faster?

I am really tempted. They are worth about the same price. I could swap without losing much. Only annoying thing is that I have the 27“ LED Cinema Display. I’d have to swap it with a Thunderbolt version.

2. kohlson macrumors 68000

Your cMP is certainly near the end of the line. But for a few hundred dollars you could upgrade the CPUs (10%+ more processing power) and a GPU. Note that the mini has very modest GPU capabilities, which can be extended with an eGPU. Whether that matters to your workflow is up to you, but this is a way to wait until refreshing until 2020, 2021, or beyond.

3. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

I don’t need a strong GPU really. My MPs GPU is much weaker I believe. I could upgrade my MP but it’s still at the end of the line I guess (no thunderbolt for example).

4. MRrainer macrumors 6502a

If it still works and it's OK for you, I'd keep it.
    Hopefully, Apple will figure out all the issues the Mini currently has, with reports of devices being bricked by the T2 chip etc.pp.

Does it still work with Mojave? If it still works with Mojave, you'll get updates for at least another year or two.

5. kohlson macrumors 68000

Sounds like the cMP you have is more computer than what you need. If you can swap it for a mini (and monitor) then you'll have years of supported computing capability ahead of you.

6. mcnallym macrumors 6502a

What are you actually using your cMP for, as that will have a bearing.

Also don't forget to factor in the cost of external storage for the extra HDDs that currently have in the cMP.

For Mojave then need a newer GPU then the 5870, and the x5690 can be bought quite cheaply to upgrade the existing system quite nicely, and get a few years extra out of it.

I have a 6 core cMP that starting to show age, but thinking more of a z390/i9 9900K mackintosh rather then the mini personally.

7. GLS macrumors 6502

I upgraded mine to a 12 core 3.33 with 64 GB ram, a PCI based SSD and 4- 4TB internal hard drives and a pair of Blu Ray DVDRW drives. Sure, it only has USB 2, and it isn't the greatest thing spec wise. But for my needs, it's perfect.

I use it for photo editing and video production/encoding. I know there are much faster CPU and GPU's available, but time isn't that important in what I'm doing here. Plus, it's just rock solid, and I can always bump up the internal storage to 10 or 12 TB drives and I do have one more speed bump to do CPU wise, if I want to. Graphics I may upgrade this summer, simply to get myself the ability to upgrade to Mojave down the road.

If I were you, I'd keep it and continue using it.

8. fastlanephil macrumors 65816

fastlanephil

My Mac Pro is substantially stronger than the 2018 i7 Mac mini running the Logic Pro X track count tests. Geekbench doesn’t always tell the whole story.

You can upgrade your graphics card to run Metal starting at $145 for a new MSI (gaming) Radeon Areo RX 560. No power cable required.

9. MRrainer macrumors 6502a

Those caches in the Xeon go a long way. But the truth is also that performance-improvements in Intel CPUs have stagnated for some years.
    This season, core-count increments gave everbody a solid boost - when the work-load is right.

10. rodedwards macrumors member

I upgraded my 2009 v4.1 Mac Pro via www.create.pro in UK. They ship worldwide. It's now v5.1 dual 6 core 3.46Ghz processors, 32Gb Ram, 1TB Samsung SSD, Nividia GTX 680 Pro Mac version (gives Apple logo boot screen) and five plug USB 3 card. It's still faster than most trashcan Mac Pros. The Graphics card supports metal and will run Mojave. Check out the create.pro website. Some stuff you can also buy second hand on ebay such as the graphics card for £150. I'm happy bunny as it also holds 17Tb internal HD storage too (4x4Tb HD +1Tb SSD = 17Tb).

11. G5isAlive macrumors 6502a

Great tip thanks, this is what I come to MacRumors for. One question, I look at the amazon reviews for this cord and a lot of them say you need a 6 pin to 8 adapter for the power cord... but you mention you don't need a power cable at all. Just wanted to clarify if its optional or what? I would think if they have power inputs on the card it needs it, but I don't know much about these things.