12 Core Mac Pro: 2.66 or 2.93?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jonathanmann, Oct 13, 2010.

1. jonathanmann macrumors newbie

If this has been covered elsewhere, please feel free to link me!

I'm using a 5 year old Mac Pro and I'm looking to upgrade. I'll be using it to make music and video. I do a song and video a day, so any speed increase seems worth my while. One of the things I've noticed about my current computer is that some heavy duty effects in Final Cut can take a REALLY long time to render, and that's a huge problem for me.

Basically what I'm asking is if you all think that the speed difference between the 2.66 and 2.93 12 Core Mac Pros will be worth the not-so-insignificant price difference.

2. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Final Cut Pro and other Apple apps are not optimized for 12 core let alone 8 core. Save your money....

I think that I read that they can't even saturate 6 core.

It depends on your apps but none of that apple apps can take advantage of a 12 core.

Some even have trouble with them, I read about logic 9, but may have been fixed.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

In Final Cut, you're better off with 6-core as only Compressor is multicore in Final Cut Suite, others are single-threaded. In single-threaded apps, the frequency is all that matters and 6-core is the beast in that (3.33GHz, 3.6GHz with Turbo).