Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macguy93

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
Hello everyone,

Recently i just bout the new 6 core mac pro. however i came across the 12 core 2.4ghz on apples refurbished site and realized i had to jump on that! anyway i did a benchmark test and i noticed the the bus speed was 5.87GHz, is that right? because on my 6 core it is 6.40GHz. I dont even know if that is going to make a difference anyways but i thought i would ask.

I also want to know of the best way to clean the computer up to run at full optimum speed. I did a migration from my existing mac and it is just filled with crap that is probably slowing down its performance. Any recommendations on what to do?

Thanks in advance

matteodv

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2012
UK
If its an official 12-core, as in Apple installed the processors when making the machine rather than the person who sent it to Apple installed them then yes there is something wrong as it should have a 6.4GT/s QPI rate.

macguy93

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
If its an official 12-core, as in Apple installed the processors when making the machine rather than the person who sent it to Apple installed them then yes there is something wrong as it should have a 6.4GT/s QPI rate.

I spoke with apple today after finding the right person who knew about macpros and he told me that the bus speed of all 12 core mac pros is the 5.87GT/s.. I hope that hold true?

matteodv

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2012
UK
I spoke with apple today after finding the right person who knew about macpros and he told me that the bus speed of all 12 core mac pros is the 5.87GT/s.. I hope that hold true?

Thats very odd, every informational website you can visit says that every 12-core Mac Pro has a 6.4GT/s QPI rate, it sounds odd to say this but that Apple genius was wrong.

It doesn't really matter though as even if you were to put 4 PCIe devices in and have all 4 HDD bays occupied you wouldn't even touch the maximum GB/s rate of the current generation Xeon's; QPI is a very fast bus so theres nothing really to worry about.
Its the same story with PCIe 2.0 and 3.0, people are worrying that because the Mac Pro still doesn't have PCIe 3.0 it won't be able to handle the full bandwidth of the newest graphics cards but thats utter rubbish as the PCIe 2.0 rate can barely be touched at the moment.

macguy93

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
Thats very odd, every informational website you can visit says that every 12-core Mac Pro has a 6.4GT/s QPI rate, it sounds odd to say this but that Apple genius was wrong.

It doesn't really matter though as even if you were to put 4 PCIe devices in and have all 4 HDD bays occupied you wouldn't even touch the maximum GB/s rate of the current generation Xeon's; QPI is a very fast bus so theres nothing really to worry about.
Its the same story with PCIe 2.0 and 3.0, people are worrying that because the Mac Pro still doesn't have PCIe 3.0 it won't be able to handle the full bandwidth of the newest graphics cards but thats utter rubbish as the PCIe 2.0 rate can barely be touched at the moment.

Really?? If thats the case can you send me a link to the specifications you have found that claim that? i would love to point this out to apple to get a new machine if thats the case. after all i did pay for a 2012 model, which means i should have gotten the 2012 motherboard. This is a bit ridiculous that apple would have made such a huge mistake like this!

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Really?? If thats the case can you send me a link to the specifications you have found that claim that? i would love to point this out to apple to get a new machine if thats the case. after all i did pay for a 2012 model, which means i should have gotten the 2012 motherboard. This is a bit ridiculous that apple would have made such a huge mistake like this!

He's wrong. The 2.4 ghz hex cores only have a QPI speed of 5.88GT/s.

Here's the info directly from Intel's website:
http://ark.intel.com/products/48768/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5645-(12M-Cache-2_40-GHz-5_86-GTs-Intel-QPI)

macguy93

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
So in the future when I go to upgrade my processors to dual 6 core 3.33ghz (same processors in the 6 core model) am I going to be capped at 5.87GT/s? Or will it adjust to 6.40GT/s?

Thanks for your guys help!

It will adjust.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.