12 core Mac pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by harddriveowner, Jan 11, 2011.

1. harddriveowner macrumors member

Anyone using one. Any better than the 8 cores or just more expensive. Any software benefit from more cores?

2. ShiftClick macrumors regular

ShiftClick

I'm of the opinion that if you are not aware of the fact that you NEED a 8 or 12 core machine, then quite honestly you don't need it. More cores is great for rendering and transcoding for the professional applications that need them. Beyond that 90% of all apps just use 1 core and that's when you want the most ghz.

3. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Beyond that 90% of all apps just use 1 core and that's when you want the most ghz.

No true. Photo editing software like Photoshop and Aperture can use multiple cores and I can easily max out my 2 cores. But in most cases 4 is plenty and 6 can be useful. I can't comment on who or what would specifically need 8 or 12 cores.

4. kohlson macrumors 6502a

Depends on what you're going to do. As noted, some apps cannot make use of all available cores, so faster CPU speed may make a difference. But it's all about end-to-end throughput: CPU, memory, disk I/O, and in some cases, graphics cards. If you're unaware of how "core-bound" you are now, then you probably want a faster CPU. macperformanceguide.com and Apps-Utilities-Activity Monitor are good places to start.