12 core slower than 6 core in PS !!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Honumaui, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Weepul macrumors regular

Yikes indeed!

Just to head off comments from people who didn't look carefully at the article: this is a comparison between the 3.33GHz 6-core, and an upgraded 3.33GHz 12-core system. It's not the situation where the 2.93GHz 12-core will be slower per thread; the cores are the same speed here.

2. ekwipt macrumors 6502a

There's a latency hit when using the 2 physical CPU config

Maybe the EFI is not programmed for the dual 3.33Ghz as well?

3. Ryan P macrumors regular

This is likely just in the programming...using threads is expensive...adobe is probably creating more threads than makes sense..or scheduling them a non optimal manner. 12 cores are pretty new so they probably didn't get much if any testing.

4. jedijoe macrumors 6502

jedijoe

Adobe just sucks. flash, photoshop and lightroom are dogs even on 1 core. I've recently tried Bibblepro v5 on my older 8-core linux box (2GHz Harpertowns) and it flew through 21MP raw files and scaled well all the way to 8x.

I am really considering the switch from Lightroom to BibblePro. Unfortunately, there really isn't any Photoshop equivalent in terms of features..

Adobe. BARF!

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I have to agree. I used to LOVE Adobe products until they bought up Macromedia. Now without competition everything went to ****. CS3 and CS4 were complete trash. Not to mention, Adobe's solution to their softwares problems is to upgrade (at your expense) to their new version. Ugh.

Adobe on windows is even worse. It invades the system literally and spreads itself everywhere.

6. Honumaui thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just wish bibble had a better interface and output ?

C1 does a good job but its kinda doggy
    Aperture ? not a fan of the colors it puts out compared to C1 and LR is good for me with all the photographers I work with ?

7. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Someone should post this over at John Nack's blog. See how he manages to spin doctor this one. :D

8. goMac macrumors 603

Sounds like Photoshop has poor thread management. They probably aren't able to nicely manage the overhead of using that many threads.

9. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

[​IMG]

Click the image for more fun crash reports.

That really sums up my feeling about Adobe. Annoying that we have to keep using them.

10. milo macrumors 604

Can it be totally ruled out that this isn't a problem because it's a hacked system - does the same happen with a "real" 12 core?

11. Honumaui thread starter macrumors 6502a

nope and I thought that also ? but then in other things it did better than the rest which kinda makes me think its OK

who knows :)