12", Early 2016 MacBook hot after Upgrading to High Sierra.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by TorontoJen, Feb 27, 2018.

1. TorontoJen macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

I updated my 12" MacBook to High Sierra a few days ago, and have been using it consistently. It gets really, really hot, to the point where I don't want to rest my hands on it. Considering this is my main work machine for writing, sweaty palms aren't really a good thing.

The battery is also draining pretty fast. I did every upgrade on my machine, but I'm not sure what else I can do. It should be done indexing by now, I would imagine. Any suggestions?

I called Apple but they didn't really say anything other than do some kind of "R" key diagnostic and tell me to bring it in for service. The machine used to run very cool.

Thanks!

Jen

2. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 68000

Darmok N Jalad

When you check system monitor, is there anything maxing out your CPU? Sounds like something is running in the background hogging resources.

3. deuxani macrumors 6502

deuxani

It sounds stupid, but try lowering your brightness. What happened to me was that I used to get around 10 hours of battery life before High Sierra. After the update I got about 6 to 7 hours, so I was obviously annoyed with that. After a couple of days I noticed my brightness was set to 100% (fixed, it never went down). I normally have it set to 50%, so when I manually lowered my brightness back to 50% I got my 10 hours of battery life back.

I hope you have the same issue. If not, what is Activity Monitor showing in the Energy tab?

4. iPodClassic1 macrumors member

iPodClassic1

I know this is not useful comment at all, but I still don't understand why people with macbooks keep updating to Sierra or High Sierra. Mine works perfectly okay with El Cap, I have had it for a year and battery works for about 4 or 5 hours strong usage and batt goes down to 60% only.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 4, 2018 ---
    My bad, actually I've been on batt for 4 hours and it only went down to 86%. [​IMG]

5. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

High Sierra's version of Photos is way better, for example.

6. iPodClassic1 macrumors member

iPodClassic1

I don’t argue that. However OPs post is. About computer temperature and battery life. that’s why I provided information and proof that battery life is better in El Capitan

7. WickedPorter macrumors regular

WickedPorter

I would check activity monitor ... or "top" in the console. Something is more than likely spiking CPU. I typically see this with new Macs or after upgrades when spotlight indexing is doing it's thing. It usually falls off after a few hours of usage, once indexing completes.

There should be no issues running High Sierra on 2015+ MacBooks.