12 GB log file!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Moses:SonOfGod, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Moses:SonOfGod macrumors newbie

Moses:SonOfGod

My windowserver.log file (private>var>log>windowserver.log) has suddenly grown to about 12GB, leaving no room on the Hard Drive. The computer now just force quits any application about a minute after opening it and if I try to delete stuff to free up more space the log file just grows to fill it up!
    Is it OK to delete this file? What should I do?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yes, you can delete the log file...it won't do any harm. Sometimes a runaway process generates huge log files like this. It's usually not worth trying to track down the cause unless it happens again. So delete the file and give your machine a restart.

3. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

TRASH IT!!! QUICK!!! DO IT NOW BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE!!!!!!!

Don't try opening it, that will cause more problems... If it needs the log files it will recreate it.

The Stig

4. TrenchMouth macrumors 6502

yeah delete it. i had a great run away log file about two weeks ago that took up some 30GB before i noticed what was going on. deleted and restarted. just one of those things i suppose :rolleyes:

ive only had it happen once, never did figure out what sparked it.

5. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

The exact same scenario with the exact same file happened to me. I freaked out at first, not knowing what it was. I used OmniSweeper to find it. I trashed it, and all was well with the world again.

6. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

ditto, only mine got to around 64GB.