12-Hour Clock AM PM Time Suffixes

Zedcars

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
Brighton, UK
Hi,

I like to use the 12-hour clock format. Since I upgraded to iOS9 the am pm suffixes have acquired an abbreviation dot/punctuation: a.m., p.m.

I do not like this as it is over fussy and clutters up the interface unnecessarily (which is strangely the opposite of Apple's modus operandi).

Is there any way to get back to the simpler non-punctuated abbreviations?

Attachments

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Must be based on regional settings. In US it seems to use "AM" and "PM".

Zedcars

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
Brighton, UK
Must be based on regional settings. In US it seems to use "AM" and "PM".
Yes, you are right. I changed my Region setting to Australia as that gives me the time and date format I like.

I actually live in the UK so I hope it doesn't have any adverse effects on any other iOS 9 services.

Thank you.

iZac

macrumors 68020
Apr 28, 2003
Shanghai
I had the same immediate dislike for those two little dots cluttering up my menu bar. After reading C DMs response, I changed mine to the Falkland Islands since I assumed setting it to Australia might default some input to Australian Dollars.

Thanks for the advice here though, it's really been bugging me, and I hate the 24 hour clock

Zedcars

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
Brighton, UK
I had the same immediate dislike for those two little dots cluttering up my menu bar. After reading C DMs response, I changed mine to the Falkland Islands since I assumed setting it to Australia might default some input to Australian Dollars.

Thanks for the advice here though, it's really been bugging me, and I hate the 24 hour clock
I'm extremely happy to report that the iOS 9.2 update has removed the two dots after the am, pm suffix (UK region format).

Hip hip hurray! :)

Reactions: iZac

iZac

macrumors 68020
Apr 28, 2003
Shanghai
I'm extremely happy to report that the iOS 9.2 update has removed the two dots after the am, pm suffix (UK region format).

Hip hip hurray! :)
Zedcars, I'm delighted you remembered this thread and gave us an update.

Just switched back to the UK region now, Cheers man!

tomi03

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2015
Genève. Suisse
I use the Swiss/Danish/Swedish/Norwegian suffix, it looks like this:

And it doesn't affect anything if you change these settings, be I tried the normal one and nothing happened

Zedcars

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
Brighton, UK
I use the Swiss/Danish/Swedish/Norwegian suffix, it looks like this:

And it doesn't affect anything if you change these settings, be I tried the normal one and nothing happened
That's fine. But I prefer to use a 12-hour clock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.