12 Hour old MacBook Pro Dead!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nipz, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Morning all,

Ok so i got my new MBP last night from the apple store got it home and set it up. This morning i install the updates and restart to this:

[​IMG]

My brother owns an IT company so took it to him and showed his workers and they said its the graphics card that has more than likely gone!!

What you guys think?

Really really P'ed off! Now ive got the hour drive back to the store to get a new one!

2. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

You definitely got quite the lemon there, you should get an exchange no problem.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yeah, looks like the GPU is bad. Ask if you could get something like iWork because of this as you had to drive etc.

4. Nipz thread starter macrumors 65816

Nipz

Yea i wont be leaving until i get something for free for the hassle!

Was soo excited to get my new laptop!

Thanks guys!

5. brianfast macrumors regular

Don't expect companies to give you free things. What is with the entitlement these days.

6. microcolt macrumors regular

They'll exchange that no problem, do you have Apple Care or not? It shouldn't matter with a 12 hour old MBP either way.

7. dmx macrumors 6502

It's not about entitlement. It's a goodwill gesture to keep you happy after they sell you an extremely expensive computer that doesn't work.

8. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Companies encourage it when they do the "customer is always right" or always try to appease the customer (even when the customer is being unreasonable).

In this case I would say it's not totally unreasonable to expect something but it is also not totally unreasonable for them to give nothing. I mean defective products happen, it's just a fact of life. It's not like they purposely went and found the defective product for the person. But it would be a nice gesture if they did give some compensation (maybe a small amount off or a discount off something). Free software though I think is asking a bit much.

9. JacaByte macrumors 6502

The customer is not always right: http://notalwaysright.com/

But yeah, that's definitely the graphics card and/or a cable between the graphics card and the display. But it's 12 hours old, you should definitely take it back and request a new one, and only a new one. They may offer you something for free anyway if you're nice and pleasant, but the important thing is to not be a d-----bag about receiving an entitlement for your troubles. (which are quite small in the grand scheme of things, imagine if this was an HP)

10. Nipz thread starter macrumors 65816

Nipz

Just left the shop with a new MBP which was nice and they gave me a 10% off card for my next shop! Also nice :) maybe I NEED a new 12 core mac pro... Hmmmm!

11. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Yeah, come to think of it I would not accept them just repairing my laptop if it was just 12 hours old (I mean I would not want to be paying for an already opened up laptop if it was that new. In fact I would actually expect them to just replace it with a new one at that point).

But it sounds like it worked out for the OP as he got a discount off another product and a new laptop.

12. ballerchild macrumors newbie

Now return it and rebuy it using the 10% off! :p

13. crawfish963 macrumors 6502

crawfish963

It's not the retailer's fault. It was just a lemon computer. It would be like you eating at a restaurant, going home later and having gas, then coming back asking for a free desert.

14. Nipz thread starter macrumors 65816

Nipz

Love it!!

I'm already saving the VAT and got student discount so can't be worth the hassle really :) great idea though!

15. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

Great! Now that's service.

16. hippo206 macrumors 6502

I agree. Apple has outstanding customer service.... is that not enough? Maybe a dealing or two the HP will change ppl's entitlement issues.

17. andrew086 macrumors regular

???? but the meal was made in the restaurant (hopefully)....

18. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

What?? Its not the retailer's fault?? Well, who's fault is it? Seriously?? WHO do you think should take responsibility for it? Apple is the company that is selling the computer. Apple is the one that makes the most money off your purchase. Apple is the name on the box, manual, EULA, and the store.

In my mind, its Apple's fault. When you are one selling the products, its your problem if they fail.

You analogy of having gas is not a good example because its very subjective. What if I had eaten at a restaurant, gone home, and then came down with food poisoning?

I'm not saying Apple needs to buy him a house for his trouble but it sounds like that took responsibility for the problem and compensated him for the inconvenience - as they should have.

Cheers!