12" ibook & external monitor

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by skd, Sep 28, 2008.

1. skd macrumors 6502

I have a 24" dell external monitor that I use with my 17" MBP. My wife would like to hook up her 12" ibook to the 24" monitor. Is this possible, and what cables would I need?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

1. Mini-VGA to VGA adapter.
    2. Screen Spanning Hack

It'll be a little sluggish with the external. Which 12" iBook as well?

3. skd thread starter macrumors 6502

my wife's computer is a 12" ibook, power pc G4, 1.33 Ghz, 1.5 GB ram, and running Leopard.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I had a user that upgraded to Leopard and the screen spanning hack was maintained. I'm just not sure if the hack will run under Leopard to enable screen spanning instead of just mirroring.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I've done the exact thing once, my 1.2GHz iBook G4 hooked up to a 24" Dell display with a mini VGA adapter and Screen Spanning Doctor installed.

It worked but there were many issues - it was very VERY sluggish if you were doing anything that involved moving objects around the screen and I couldn't go all the way to 1920x1200, it stopped me at 1920x1080 which was fine but there's always the slightly blurry look when you're running an LCD at a res lower than native.

Oh, and if you do do it, don't enable Clamshell mode - you'll fry your iBook.