12" ibook vs. 12" pb

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jennysbelly, Dec 16, 2005.

  1. jennysbelly macrumors member

    Dec 16, 2005
    Hello all,
    This has been discussed a myriad of times. I currently own a PowerbookG3 Bronze Keyboard that is dead in my basement waiting for my boyfriend to upgrade it as his pet project.

    When that died almost 3 years ago, we let my Dad convince us to buy a cheap HP desktop because software is easier to obtain. After two hard drive crashes, and the disaster of two people sharing a computer, I've decided to get myself a new laptop.

    I have about 2K saved up, but I'm a little uncomfortable spending all of it on the computer since it is all I've got. Originally, I've been deciding between the 14" ibook and the 12" powerbook, but the 12" powerbook won out. After reading the forums, and seeing the ultra cheap price on Amazon right now, I'm wondering if the 12" ibook is better. I liked the keyboard and the aesthetic of powerbook better. Basically, I'm a websurfer, blogger, photo taker (no editing at this point), and writer. I like the idea of the superdrive, and I'd use it if I had it, but I don't know if I need it I'm so used to my POS PC. I have interest in getting into the design field, but I'm not now. So I wonder if it is better to get the ibook cheap now and possibly upgrade later, or get a desktop or to get the powerbook which would also give me a little room to expand.

    Any thoughts?

  2. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502


    Dec 8, 2005
    The iBook on Amazon is a good deal. However if you can wait a few weeks there might be some nice new products introduced.
  3. jennysbelly thread starter macrumors member

    Dec 16, 2005
    I'm thinking of waiting too. My boyfriend thinks it makes more sense to upgrade my G3 with a new battery, RAM, OS, and airport card. What do you think?
  4. devilot Moderator emeritus


    May 1, 2005
    I think we ladies know best. ;)

    If you can stand waiting... then wait at least until January 10th. That way if new portables are announced you can either choose to purchase one of those, or choose to purchase the current machines (which will then boast a discount).

    If you need to get a new machine now, then do it, and I definitely think a 12" iBook G4 would be perfect for you.
  5. jennysbelly thread starter macrumors member

    Dec 16, 2005
    I agree. It's so close now, that I think I can wait to at least see what is announced, but I'm leaning towards the ibook more than I thought, especially if cool things happen in January.

    I don't need it now, I just want it now. I'm off work until January 3rd (waiting to start new job) and have too much time on my hands thinking about it!

    So now, I've got myself thinking of upgrading my G3. Anyone know where to start or should I be posting somewhere else?
  6. crazycat macrumors 65816


    Dec 5, 2005
    Wait, then get the intel ibook or the a normal ibook if the inntel does not make it to the ibook.
  7. Seasought macrumors 65816


    Nov 3, 2005
    I suggest waiting barring any immediate needs...MacWorld could change everything.
  8. paulman macrumors member

    Oct 20, 2004
    I'm waiting for MWSF since I was torn between the iBook and the PB. I'm just gonna buy the one thats updated. If not I'll prob just buy the G4 ones since I'm using a Pentium Pro laptop at the mo (with win95!!!!!).

    Also since I don't have any mac software the rosetta problem won't affect me as much (may do for games)

    Less than a month to go!
  9. Laser47 macrumors 6502a


    Jan 8, 2004
    My condolences.:rolleyes:

Share This Page