'12 iMac sounds like Coffee maker

Discussion in 'iMac' started by yourashero, Mar 15, 2013.

1. yourashero macrumors regular

I just got my late 2012 iMac yesterday. i7, 3tb fusion, 24gb RAM, 680MX

After about a 6 hour migration of around 650gb of info I ran it through its paces. It works great and is much speedier. However, I believe the hard drive is the culprit in the coffee machine noises. My late 09 iMac would do it when it was transferring data for time machine, but then it was whisper quiet.

I've ran it idle for about an hour and it won't shut up. Is anyone else experiencing this?

2. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

Could spotlight still be indexing files? Or a backup taking place? It still shouldn't be that loud though.

3. yourashero thread starter macrumors regular

Time machine backed up earlier this morning. Its been done for quite a while. I've already updated all my photos in iphoto and lightroom last night.

(in post update)

I just checked the the activity monitor. The drive is reading at 1.2MB/sec and writing at 4.3MB/sec. The peak is 7.1 MB/sec.

Is the fusion drive just swapping info back and forth?

4. WilliamG macrumors 604

Send the system back. I've got the same system, and even under massive hard-drive access, I still have to listen extremely carefully in a whisper-quiet room to hear any noise at all.

Unless there's some exaggeration, my 2009 27" iMac didn't sound like a coffee maker, either.

5. yourashero thread starter macrumors regular

It finally stopped! It took around 8 hours of run time. I'll watch out over the next few days to see what its like.