Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Padraig

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
The machine is 18 months old, has a new battery and I never had any problems with it. While using it this morning the machine just died. It restarted again with no ill effects, bar the clock resetting. However, thirty minutes later the same thing happened. This time, grey vertical lines preceded the shutdown.

Now, the machine will start up normally, approximately one in three times only to shut down after one or two minutes. The rest of the time the fans spin up to full speed while the screen stays blank.

And help would be much appreciated.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
There are a few major possibilities:

- It is possible, but it sounds unlikely, that this is a software issue (like a corrupt system file). The only thing I could recommend to validate this, is to boot off the system disc, and let it run for a while. If it crashes when it's running off that, it's not software.

- It is possible that it has to do with a problem in the firmware -- which can be reset. How to do this is in the "Guides" tab here -- it may be referred to as "zapping PRAM"

- It is possible that you have bad RAM. If you have more than the base level of RAM (i.e. more than 512MB, in that iBook, I think), then you can try removing the module and see if performance improves.

- It is possible you have a bad hard drive. Run Disk Utility, and look to see if the SMART Status entry on the lower right (after you click on the disk on the left) is "Verified." Better yet, boot off the install DVD and run Disk Utility from there, and do this, plus do the "Repair Disk" (but not the "Repair Permissions") option.

------snip here to divide between unlikely explanations (above) and likely one (below)-----

- It sounds to me like you have a logic board failure (i.e. a failure of hardware that isn't removable)... and that means that this will be pricey to repair. :(

Padraig

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
Thanks for the help, the only thing i've installed in the last month has been skype, and i can't see that having any adverse effects. The logic board does sound like a far more plausible explanation.

My main concern lies in retrieving data from the hard-drive, as it contains my thesis and relevant files. Of course, Idiot boy didn't back up. Two questions-

1) What's the best way of recovering the information?

2) What is the cost of a logic board replacement?

This is fate telling me to buy a Macbook

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Padraig said:
1) What's the best way of recovering the information?

If you have access to a *working* Mac running OS X, then the best way is to buy a firewire cable and use firewire target disk mode. You will mount the iBook as a disk volume on the other computer. (So you boot the iBook in target disk mode, connected to the other computer, and then it shows up as a volume).

Here is how:

http://guides.macrumors.com/Target_Disk_Mode

Padraig

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
lilstewart said:
Buy AppleCare? If not, I think you might be screwed. :(

Isn't that like taking out medical insurance after you have been diagnosed with cancer. Don't you have to register Applecare? Surely Apple will have a problem with such a coincidence. Or am i incorrect?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Padraig said:
Isn't that like taking out medical insurance after you have been diagnosed with cancer. Don't you have to register Applecare? Surely Apple will have a problem with such a coincidence. Or am i incorrect?

You have to buy Applecare in the first year of owning the iBook, while the warranty is still running.

During the first year, it's a non-issue, because the Mac is already warranted, and so you would get it fixed for free even if you didn't buy Applecare. So either way, you're allowed to buy Applecare during the period in which the Mac is originally warranted.

I think Stewart was speaking in ambiguous past tense. ;) :(

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
If you have an Apple store near you, take it to the "genius bar". THey'll run some basic diagnostics on it, including disk warrior. Also, you should DEFINITELY run your hardware test disc, if you haven't already. They'll also know if there is a recall on your model, in which case your repair will be free.

I don't think it's the hard drive, but it could be. I'd side with an earlier post, that mentioned bad RAM. The monitor issue you are describing sounds similar to an overheating recall that was in effect for a lot of the G3 ibooks, mine went through it...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
disconap said:
THey'll run some basic diagnostics on it, including disk warrior.

Sorry to be OT (I think you've hit the nail on the head...this is really the most worthwhile approach at this point), but...

Do they really use DiskWarrior at the Genius Bar? I've never availed myself of their services.

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
They did the last couple times I went in. So I can honestly say that, a year or so ago, the one in Beaverton, OR did. I haven't been to the downtown Portland one yet, and I haven't needed to go in a while. But yeah, the "geniuses" are, or at least used to be, tech geeks, so they get off on solving these sorts of problems. One time the girl spent five hours fiddling with my ibook before admitting defeat and sending it in for free repairs. They're great people (or, at least, were the last time I was there).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.