12-inch Macbook Buy or Wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Bondadasorg, Oct 12, 2016.

  1. Bondadasorg macrumors newbie

    Oct 12, 2016
    I like the 12-inch Macbook, and want that or a similar notebook that is just as light. I notice the buyer's guide is neutral on the 12-inch macbook which I don't understand - given the upcoming refresh of the Macbook Pro and maybe the Air, it makes sense to wait until the end of October to see what Apple releases, right? So why would the rec from the buyers guide be neutral? In my case, I have a few other computers I can use until then so I'm not in a hurry. Curious what folks think? Buy or wait and why or why not, and why is macrumors neutral and not stating 'wait' or something like that? Curious what folks think. Thanks.
  2. Floris macrumors 68020


    Sep 7, 2007
    Just wait, they could announce new ones today, next tuesday, november 1st.. At least then you know if anything got updated, became cheaper , etc.
  3. viperGTS macrumors 68000

    Nov 15, 2010
    It's neutral because right now, the MacBook is about midway through it's refresh cycle. Given that we only have one "sample" of days between Macbook releases, it's not much to base off of, but I highly doubt the 12 inch MacBook is going to see updates this October.
  4. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

    T'hain Esh Kelch

    Aug 5, 2001
    Buy. It won't see an update until spring. The chances of a Macbook update in October-December is 0,00000000000000 ... 00001
  5. wbrat macrumors regular

    Sep 18, 2014
    Probably yes, but changes in pricing are not that impossible...
  6. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

    T'hain Esh Kelch

    Aug 5, 2001
    You are not used to buying Apple products I see... :D

    Short of Black Friday or similar days, you won't see major price changes.
  7. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

    Feb 6, 2013
    United Kingdom
    The new rMBP/MBA that are due for release won't effect the prices of the rMB at all.. So I say you are safe to buy now, maybe look into a refurb?
  8. zhenya macrumors 603


    Jan 6, 2005
    They are neutral because the rMB itself is unlikely to be updated. That said, at this point, if you don't need a new computer, I would wait and see what else is announced. Perhaps one of the new devices will interest you as I would expect the entire lineup to get considerably thinner and lighter.
  9. VR46 macrumors newbie


    Oct 14, 2016
    First post, when would you guys/girls expect the 2016 rMB to hit the Refurbished Store?
  10. nightsurf macrumors newbie


    Oct 14, 2016
    I only got my macbook just few days ago. I almost want to wait for next year macbook, but eventually I caved in. If you need it right now and sure enough this macbook can handle your tasks, then most probably I inclined you to get it. cheers :)
  11. Howard2k macrumors 6502a


    Mar 10, 2016
    The buyers guide is pretty useless. But still, if I was in the market for a new laptop right now I'd be waiting to see what October brings.
  12. iDemiurge macrumors 6502


    Feb 7, 2011
    I have a 2015 model, but if I were to buy it now I'd wait till they support thunderbold and 4k at 60hz off that single port.
  13. Freyqq macrumors 68040

    Dec 13, 2004
    Why? Intel's new chips have been released for the Macbook. Could happen at any time Apple chooses.
  14. Bondadasorg thread starter macrumors newbie

    Oct 12, 2016
    Thanks for all the input. Gave me a lot to think about, in a good way.

    I ended up ordering the upgraded i7 12-inch macbook and waited for last week's announcement before picking it up from Apple. The announcement didn't change any of that. I really dig the 12-inch, like the size and how it's only 2 lbs, and am not bothered by the lack of ports.
  15. RansZ28 macrumors regular


    Sep 11, 2014
    Gilbert AZ
    I believe that Apple Canada has increased the price and I have read others on the forums that there could be a premium in the price. I bought mine used and it has Apple Care until 2019 and got a great deal!
    I love this MacBook and totally happy with my purchase!
  16. aleni macrumors 68020

    Jun 2, 2006
    when you decide to buy the macbook now, get the m5, you'll not regret it. i got the m3, it's pretty slow and sold it. now im with m5 and it's amazing.

    my country has no apple store, so no return policy here.
  17. SumNextGai macrumors newbie

    Oct 31, 2016
    Ontario, CA
    What kind of work were you doing to it? I have a the m3 model and it works fine for me.
  18. DNichter macrumors 601


    Apr 27, 2015
    Philadelphia, PA
    Have to second this. Then again, I am not doing much on the m3.
  19. sunapple macrumors 65816


    Jul 16, 2013
    The Netherlands
    Did some light Illustrator and 3D modeling and rendering on the M3, worked perfectly fine. But yeah, always get the best what you can get for your budget I suppose.
  20. fob macrumors member


    Sep 11, 2015
    Cannonlake will bring the biggest gains to the MacBook line. It will be like Ivy Bridge for MBA with a mainstream price and performance.
  21. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

    Jan 14, 2008
    Butterfly version deux, when? I bet they're going to ditch the 3.5mm jack in favor of USB-C on both sides. And iPhone 8 will ditch Lightning for USB-C.
  22. aleni macrumors 68020

    Jun 2, 2006
    photoshop, 30cm x 45cm 300 dpi tshirt work. it works on the m5, but moving within image is a bit stutter, but it's fine.
  23. lbjsong macrumors regular

    Jun 8, 2009
  24. Wackery macrumors 6502a

    Feb 1, 2015
    right now i say wait for usbc 3.1 gen 2 or thunderbolt, right now it's just a really expensive accessory

Share This Page