12-inch MacBook Pro coming with flash based hard drive at MacWorld 2008

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by photo-video, Dec 6, 2007.

1. photo-video macrumors member

News hitting the waves that the 12-inch MacBook Pro is on the way. 50% thinner and flash based. Will be shown at MacWorld 2008 in January.

Link

2. cube macrumors G5

3. iMouseHD macrumors regular

4. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

50% thinner? How I ask, how? That barely makes room for the enclosure...

5. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

If this is a Macbook Pro and it's 50% thinner where does the firewire port and DVI port go? Those two are almost the same height as the laptop.

6. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

And what does that tell you. I don't think it will be that thin unless they remove almost everything.

7. j/k/Andy macrumors regular

Maybe they will rotate them and the USB ports 90 degrees?

8. Rogzilla macrumors regular

I think it will be closer to a Macbook than a Macbook Pro. I think that, if Apple continues the trend of aluminum, that they heard this and assumed it was a derivative of the pro, not the MB.

Just my guess.

9. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

10. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

11. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

If it has a solid state drive, it will probably be a 64 GB SSD.

12. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Can someone get that video on youtube or something? It won't play for ****.

13. djkny macrumors 6502

Except its "touch screen" and wireless data transfer capabilities :)

14. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I don't think it will have a full sized DVI port or FW 800 port. Much like the 12" PowerBook of the past. I think it will be more like a MacBook with an aluminum enclosure and a slightly underpowered processor and dedicated GFX card.

I am not too sure about the 50% thinner aspect.

15. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Yeah I don't know about this machine anymore it keeps getting thinner in the rumors at least. This cannot be possible image all that heat if it were half an inch thick. It won't be that thin Guaranteed.

16. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

8" MacBook Paper. 1MHz, no ports.

These rumours are getting stupid. 13" MBP is viable, just look at the LG LED backlit, 2.4GHz P300s. Anything smaller, or thinner, is not going to be able to physically accommodate innards worth talking about.

17. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

$1500 for a smaller screen, less storage (likely a SSD 64GB), less ports, and probably no optical drive; no thanks!

I like my 15" MBP just fine. My previous Macbook (Intel C2D) was about as small as I'd like to have. But hey, I bet it will sell like hot cakes!

18. Tshapi macrumors regular

someone posts a thread, everybody chimes in, but no one bothers to stay up to date.

If you have been following the whole ultraportable thing, then you would have read this article,

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...on_receptacle_for_ultra_portable_systems.html

that plus no optical drive will make for a very thin machine.

how many times do we have to say this computer isn't for the Pro user it is for the corporate traveller who needs a small light laptop for all his or her extensive on the go needs.:rolleyes:

UP's are generally over priced and underpowered. people pay a hefty price for portability. why do u think laptops are so much more than desktops.

In the past laptops were much more than desktops, and in some cases they still are.

also, there have been a couple articles about how the japanese like small thin laptops with cutting edge technology and how Apple is trying to better itself in that market, hence this upcoming laptop.

19. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I think UPs are also for the Pro user that has a 17" MBP and wants to have a smaller lighter book to keep around for his/her personal use.

20. feyn-man macrumors regular

If this is true, I think APPLE will be ruined.
    flash technology, now, is not ready to do as a HD of a computer which suppose to be written so many times in its life.

21. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Ruined?

You really should get up to date on the latest flash ram you would be surprised.

As others have stated. This MAY not be for you, but there IS a market for this, business, 2nd mobile machines, Japanese market.

No one is saying this is going to sell more then a macbook. This IS a new option that will fill a gap in the product line.

22. Matek macrumors 6502a

Welcome to 2007! Solid State Drives (flash) have been around for a while and are currently being offered by many laptop makers, especially in the ultralight category. These drives do not use the same kind of chips as USB drives, SD cards and similar, so there is no problem with writing and erasing.

23. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

50% tinner would mean that it would be .75" thick.... not .5"

24. Macula macrumors 6502

Macula

I am sure this will be an impressive machine in conception and execution. I am afraid, however, that Apple Marketing will entrap us once again in frustrating dilemmas by not including in the machine, for example, a firewire port, or sufficient internal storage, or something else that only Macbooks/MBPs have...

(Sorry for being grumpy today)

25. heatmiser macrumors 68020

If you're going to worry about something, worry about the dozens of bugs that are likely going to infest whatever is released. What would you like? A yellow screen? A catastrophic hard drive failure? Dead battery after three months? Frozen keyboards? Ill-fitting parts? The list goes on and on. If you buy one of these, and something goes wrong, the last thing you'll be thinking about will be your lack of whatever the MB/Ps have...