12 inch macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nyc232, Aug 28, 2008.

1. nyc232 macrumors newbie

What are the chances of this laptop ever being released?

I thought all hope was gone when the macbook air was revealed, but with speculation of new macbooks/pros being released later this year, really leaves me wondering if apple will revive their best portable (in my opinion). I spoke to an apple genius at the fifth ave store, and he said from his knowledge with intel chips; fitting it into a 12 inch form factor, just would not be possible, heat issues. (any truth to that?)

The macbook just doesn't do it for me, and the air isn't powerful enough. Im sure apple knows how popular this computer is, and from the raging ebay prices, you can tell there is a BIG demand for this form factor.

Any thoughts/suggestions, are greatly appreciated.

By the way there is actually a site dedicated to this cause, http://www.mbp12.com

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The MacBook Air killed all hopes of that ever being released. Please search.

3. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

many people here would love it. but the chances are slim to none unfortunately, now a 13.3 incher...hmmmm

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Funny, I just picked up a pristine condition 1.5 12" powerbook this morning.

5. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

The problem with 12" is it works best in 4:3 ratios. 13.3" works better for widescreen ratios. This is why I imagine the MacBook Air is 13.3" and not 12". I can't see Apple putting another 4:3 aspect ratio screen on their notebooks.

Can I asked what you liked about the 12" PowerBook?

Was it the small form factor and metal case? If so, will you be interested in the (strongly rumoured) forthcoming transition of the MacBook line over to metal casing?

I imagine this will be the true replacement for the 12" PowerBook, only at consumer pricing! It sounds good to me anyway.

The bit from the Genius is pure nonsense.
    Lenovo X200 — 12"
    Sony TZ — 11"

Both have intel chips inside.

6. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

lol i'd be very skeptical of any "advice" given by geniuses. Take them with a grain of salt.

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Too true, alas.

Very interesting and plausible explanation for the lack of a model that I know to have been hugely popular with Apple buyers and users. I like the debunking of the "Genius's" silly reasoning, too. Cheers

8. im_noahselby macrumors member

Dell has their widescreen 12" Latitude E4200. I believe it is 1280x800.

I couldn't see Apple going back to the 4:3 aspect ratio either, which is why they would use a widescreen 12" display if they came out with a new 12" PowerBook.

9. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I would love a 12" MBP...heck I would love a 12" PB! But, it wont happen :(

10. kabunaru Guest

I will say the chances are slim since the MacBook Air.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

12. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

very creative!

It just won't happen now that there is an ultra thin 13.3". Sorry.

Also, many Mac geniuses don't know what they're talking about (not necessarily saying that I do, but not all geniuses are actually "geniuses").

13. PBGPowerbook macrumors regular

12 inch PB is the best Mac ever. I use mine daily (after a hard drive swap) alongside a brand new MBP and G5 iMac.

14. kabunaru Guest

I really want to see an Intel Mac in an 12" PowerBook G4 form.

15. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I second that. I use a black MacBook and every now and then I see just how much smaller a 12" PowerBook is. Sure it's a bit thicker but the thickness never bothered me at all, it's about the footprint.

Mind you, considering how damned hot the 12" PB got I shudder to think of what would happen to a 12" MacBook Pro...

16. kabunaru Guest

Basically, Apple should have never re-designed the PowerPC laptops when they moved to Intel.
    The 12" and 14" iBook G4s as well as 12" PowerBook G4s would be fine today with Intel processors.

17. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

That screen size is not common. It would be prohibitively expensive, especially as you can make nearly as small a computer with a 13.3" panel.

The MacBook is smaller than the PB G4 in 2 dimensions (depth and height). Apple do need to work on shaving some weight off the MacBook though. Preferably without sacrificing the solid build.

Interesting comments, but (there's always a but!) don't you think the company would look our of touch trying to sell all these computers without widescreen displays? Wouldn't many customers would demand it now as even cheap PC laptops have widescreen?

Considering the MacBook and MacBook Air have outsold their predecessors, iBook G4 and 12" PB G4 respectively by no small margin, I don't think any of us are in a position to be telling Apple what they should be doing with their cases.

I appreciate Apple is now selling a lot more computers now as well, so it is not a completely fair comparison, however those are the facts as things stand and this would certainly suggest it was not a huge mis-step by Cupertino to go with these form factors.

I imagine if the MacBook Air was discontinued it would have a website dedicated to it as well.

18. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

where did you buy your 12" PB from?

19. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86