Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
The one problem I have with this thing is (besides the need to buy a $80 adapter just to use your USB) the price.

This Macbook is certainly not worth the $1299 for what it does. I can get the current gen Macbook Pro for the same price and I dont need to buy an adapter for my USB and it can do 3x as much. Just saying.
Yeah...but can you get in gold?
I agree with you. Current gen MBP can have more than one device connected to it as well. Only having one port with very limited support is not a good thing to me....

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
My review...

A $1300 netbook with one port and a horrible keyboard.

Sure. How many netbooks have a 2204x1440 display and an HD5300 GPU? The 1.3GHz MacBook matches the MacBook Air in terms of speed.

I think that says a lot where Apple can dictate how you *will* change the way you use a laptop and that you can no longer just plug in a flash drive or such without having an adapter cable handy. Is there a problem with having multiple ports and not having to carry around a bag of adapters?

But you're right, in a few years, Apple will have brainwashed everyone into getting used to needing a pricey adapter to connect anything.

There are already USB-C flash drives and we'll see a lot more USB-C devices within a few years.

Read the message boards from 2008. People asked if there was such a problem with including a built-in DVD drive and not having to carry around an external drive. Now it's almost impossible to find a notebook, Windows or Mac, that has an internal drive. As for adapters, people said the same thing when Apple removed the Ethernet and Firewire ports from the MacBook Pro. PC manufacturers tend to keep legacy ports on for much longer. That's why VGA has survived for so long.

Apple knows the MacBook isn't for everyone or even most people just yet. That's why they still sell the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro. But eventually the MacBook will replace the MacBook Air.

kustardking

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2008
New York
I shared your opinion at first, but then why could Dell achieve this ? Of all companies! Dell!?!

Remember when the iPad Mini with Retina Display came out, it was only 0.3mm thicker and kept the same battery performance as the previous iPad Mini.
I'd be happy with a 0.3mm thicker MBA with Retina :) while maintaining Core i5/i7 options.

iPad is not a general computing device. Not comparable. Also, MBA + retina = rMBP 13. Apple segments their products as much as possible.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
no one seems to like this compromises if there is allot..

and seems a lack of ports seems to be "allot"

users just need to work differently, like how we all went nuts with no optical drive, then some of us got used to it...

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
I looked at one today and tried to like it. I currently have a 13 MBA. The screens was nice but it had the same drawbacks as the 11" to me. Just a little too small for typing. Under $1000 would be a good price point.

joecodes

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2010
US
I don't get this as a news article at all.

One review says "I knew it was small and light and had only one port, but I don't like it because it's small and light and has only one port"

The second review says they're returning it because it's hard to maintain and sync two laptops.

What has this got to do with the rMB?

Lots of hating going on, and comparisons with the rMBP13 at the same price. Yes it is. You can have bigger and more power, or smaller and less power, you get the choice. That's been the same throughout the computer industry for years. It's not like Apple won't let you buy a rMBP13 any more, so why on earth bring up the comparison?

Exactly. This is all you need to read.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I shared your opinion at first, but then why could Dell achieve this ? Of all companies! Dell!?!

Remember when the iPad Mini with Retina Display came out, it was only 0.3mm thicker and kept the same battery performance as the previous iPad Mini.
I'd be happy with a 0.3mm thicker MBA with Retina :) while maintaining Core i5/i7 options.

That's one advantage in going private. Dell doesn't need to satisfy public investors anymore and can be more experimental. "Old" Dell would never have done that. My point, though, is that for Dell to do that, they had to make it heavier. Apple could have made a 2.6lb MacBook that used a Core i5/i7, but they chose instead to make a lighter one using a Core M.

The reason the iPad was able to add a Retina Display without a huge battery jump is that the ARM processor is very efficient. Remember the original iPad with Retina Display that used an older processor? It was noticeably heavier.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I'm sure a lot of people will have buyer's remorse with the retina MB after being used to the significantly better MBA and MBP models. Next year's MB model will probably be a significant improvement, perhaps to the point where you can legitimately call it the MBA's successor. Like someone else said, the 2015 MB is a niche product and hopefully most people interested in it are fully aware of the compromises. Next year the MB will become "mainstream", more functional with the same shiny great design like today and maybe a little cheaper.

joecodes

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2010
US
The problem with the new Macbook is the huge cost of opportunity: you give up on A LOT (power, ports, resolution, etc) just to shave 1.4 pounds off your baggage compared to the MBPr 13" powerhouse. It's too much of a trade off.

I've been owning Macbook Airs for years, and for my next computer I will step up to MBPr 13" instead of stepping down to Macbook 12". Sorry Apple, but like I said, it's too much of a trade off.

The absolute only reason as of why someone could justify the premium price for such a compromised computer, is if you're a serious mobile user: always on the go with your laptop. Otherwise, there's no way you could justify this purchase vs. the 13" MBPr.

I don't necessarily agree with everything stated here, but I appreciated that it got me thinking. 13" rMBP starting at the same price is not an easy decision and the form factor will probably be the biggest point of contention (extreme portability vs power and ports).

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
no one seems to like this compromises if there is allot..

and seems a lack of ports seems to be "allot"

users just need to work differently, like how we all went nuts with no optical drive, then some of us got used to it...

I just don't understand why anyone here really cares. While this is not the machine for me I wouldn't necessarily say it's a "Lot" of compromises. It's for a specific audience and there are other models for another specific audience. If some people here don't want the new Macbook then get the Macbook they do want and cut the unnecessary comments about it lacking this or it having a lot of compromises. What's for one person doesn't mean it's for another. But some people here act like if they don't care for it then nobody else should either.

----------

you don't quite understand what brainwashing is, do you?

that's like saying no one can be tortured unless they allow it.

Thanks for the unintelligent response. No point in me continuing a conversation with you. :rolleyes:

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Here is my opinion on why I don't wanna buy this Macbook:

1) Not enough ports. Yes I do understand what Apple is trying to do, but I like multiple ports.

2) Way too pricey for the kind of performance it delivers. My iPhone probably has a similar processing speed as this guy.

3) There is no glowing Apple logo at the back. A deal-breaker for me

So it's a deal-breaker for you if your MB doesn't have a snob night light.:D

blucurv

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2009
I made the switch from a 2012 MBP to the rMB. All I can say is that this is what laptops should be like.

1. It is extremely lightweight. Perfect for carrying it around and using it in the Caltrain.
2. The keyboard is amazing. After a week of usage, the rMBP keyboard feels oddly spaced compared to the rMB.
3. Performance is amazing. I run Photoshop, Illustrator, and half a dozen other apps with no issues whatsoever. I even used Premiere Pro for some video editing and it worked great.
4. The ports haven't been an issue for me with the multimedia port. Don't need them on the go, but at work, I have a DualLink DVI to HDMI for my Cinema Display, and usb to 4hub USB, which connects to my wacom tablet and to charge my stuff.
5. Migration wasn't a problem since iCloud did most of the work for me and we use Google Drive for our files/folders at work. I was able to pick up from where I left off.
6. Best part is the actual physical quality of it. It's beautiful and super light. Plus, it's quite and hardly warms up. Love the keyboard and the taptic trackpad.

Best purchase I've made.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
Actually it was $3099 for the model anyone cared about, especially since it used an SSD. The new Macbook is more inline with that model since it uses flash storage.

thats not how comparisons work for products released 7 years apart

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I just don't understand why anyone here really cares. While this is not the machine for me I wouldn't necessarily say it's a "Lot" of compromises. It's for a specific audience and there are other models for another specific audience. If some people here don't want the new Macbook then get the Macbook they do want and cut the unnecessary comments about it lacking this or it having a lot of compromises. What's for one person doesn't mean it's for another. But some people here act like if they don't care for it then nobody else should either.

So, whats your definition of "compromise" ? How about a bit ? is that better ?

Tompkinson

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2009
.DE
3) There is no glowing Apple logo at the back. A deal-breaker for me

I hope that I'm wrong and there was a technical reason for the removal of the glowing logo.

Can somebody please explain to me why one would want the glowing apple logo???

I'm delighted that they've decided to get rid of this thing. Should have happened long ago.

I've had every just about version of apple laptop since the Pismo G3, I've always covered the annoying logo with black or silver tape.

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015
I was very skeptical of the Macbook upon its announcement and pricing. Decided to order one anyways and try it out and I'm glad I did. It's easily my favorite laptop I've owned. I'm not using it for major photo/video work but it's great for most everything else, even lighter work in PS and iMovie. I only wish the display were a bit larger, 14 or even 13 would be perfect. Still love it though.

----------

The one problem I have with this thing is (besides the need to buy a $80 adapter just to use your USB) the price.

You don't need to spend $80 to use your USB. I spent $19 on the Apple USB-C to USB adapter and can use any USB device around. Please inform yourself before making such ridiculous claims.

ksuyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
It has a few "understandable" shortcomings, but will I return mine due to those? Absolutely not, I love my new MacBook. It's more portable than MBA in many ways (less ports force me to reduce clutter actually, and I like it. I also like the thinner and lighter designs, the new keyboard takes time for me to get used to but once I did, I love it! Same with the new forcetouch, knowledge is in your fingertip literally!). See, those things that I love, are the things that people actually hate. That's how Apple do, always. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.