Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wx4olf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
I starting to have some issues with my 2016 12" MacBook. I'm thinking it is hardware related but figured I'd throw it out here to see if anyone has experienced similar or has ideas on what else I can try before my genius appointment tomorrow evening.

Here's the issue: When I plug the power adapter into the MacBook and allow the computer to sleep or close the lid to put it to sleep the computer crashes. Specifically, when I attempt to wake the system up one of the following two things happens. 1. I get a black screen with a white flashing folder icon. Or 2. The system wakes up as normal then immediately freezes and eventually fails back to the black screen with the white flashing folder. Fully powering the system down (by holding the power button down for several seconds) and then rebooting usually brings the system back up (I do get the "your system shutdown unexpectedly" message on boot) but frequently I have to wait several minutes otherwise I will just get the black screen and white flashing folder when trying to boot.

From the diagnostic report that comes up after rebooting it looks like the issue is a kernel panic caused by IONVMeController so I'm thinking I've got a logic board problem or something related to the non volatile memory.

I've tried resetting the PRAM and the SMC as well as a clean install of the OS but the issue is still present so I am wondering if there is anything else I could try before taking it in to Apple tomorrow.

Treyhunna

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2017
Your storage drive looks to have issues. Get it check by app if U have no experience with repairing flash storage

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.