12" Macbook and the TSA

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ghanwani, Mar 9, 2015.

1. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

Will these need to be removed from a bag, or does it get to stay inside the bag given that it's small and fanless (just like a tablet)?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's a MacBook, not a MacBook Air.

3. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

TSA will doubtless produce some guidance on the point, but that means nothing; the various airport offices will continue to do whatever they want.

Like the 11" MBA, which TSA says can stay in the bag, I imagine rMB owners will find some airports that require the new laptop be taken out of the bag, and others where it can stay in. The different approaches in the face of clear agency policy are bewildering, but they reflect the very limited mentalities if the individual screeners.

4. GDF macrumors regular

That's the problem. Most of the public will think this is the MacBook Air and is the upgraded model. I think this is very poor marketing on Apple's part, unless they eventually phase out the Air, which I am guessing they will.

Apple is marketing geniuses though and know what they are doing much better than any of us.

5. baypharm, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2015

baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

My 17" has never been removed from backpack and always goes through TSA security with no issues - including outside of the USA.

6. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

I think the name change serves the Internet Police forces in correcting people who have actual questions about the product but instead will be flamed for using the wrong term.

7. JoelTheSuperior macrumors 6502

JoelTheSuperior

Really? I've almost always been asked to remove my laptop at London Gatwick.

I've noticed airports outside of the UK seem to care a lot less though.

8. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

This is still a laptop, and the TSA is pretty clear on this point. It will need to come out.

My Surface Pro is a tablet, and generally (but not always) is allowed to stay in its bag.

9. Devie macrumors 6502a

In aust it really depends on where you are and how busy. City airports I can get away with a 15" and two iPads in there, the rural airports which are a lot quieter there is no chance, basically need to bend over and spread em for those guys.

10. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

The 11" Air is allowed to stay in the bag most of the time (except when you have agents that don't understand the policy).

11. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Good to know. The TSA officers always seem to make the distinction based on laptop or tablet, not on size.

12. panzer06, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015

panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

The actual guidelines state 12" or smaller can stay in your luggage, however, the individual screener is given wide latitude as to whether to request it be removed and scanned.

When I travelled more frequently and owned the 11" Air, I was only stopped once and asked to removed and scan it once my bag was screened. I think most operators will let it go.

From the TSA Blog.

For laptops that need to come out of your bag, we describe them as a “standard size” laptop – which loosely translates into approximately 12x14” or larger. We’re not measuring every laptop that comes through the checkpoint but that is the general dimensions of what we consider to be standard size. Also, the larger the laptop, the more stuff that can be hidden in it. So if your laptop is approximately 12x14” or larger it must be removed from the bag, but remember, if you choose to leave the smaller ones in your bag, our officers still need to be able to see clearly on the X-ray what else is in the bag with your laptop, so there is always a chance they might ask you to remove it to give them that clearer view. ~

Since the new MB is approx 11"x8" it should not be a problem leaving it in your luggage.

Cheers,

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Odds are that it being a "laptop" you may very well need to remove it, regardless if its a "standard" size. In my travels, I never heard the TSA folks make the size distinction. They've always told people that all laptops need to be removed for scanning.

14. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

That's just a general announcement to everyone in line, which I always felt free to ignore because of the guidelines. As I said, only once in hundreds of flights was I requested to remove and scan the 11" Air.

Cheers,

15. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Simple solution: Sign up for Global Entry or TSA-Pre and not have to worry about taking anything out of your laptop. As long as you've got $100 and aren't named Muhammad Akbar, you'll be approved, and realize how awful it is you've waited so long to sign up.

In all reality though, it's worth it... shoes stay on, laptop stays in the bag, belts stay on. I joined Global Entry in 2010 and can't imagine life without it.

For those who want the actual rules and how they clarify them:

http://blog.tsa.gov/2010/11/macbook-airs-along-with-many-other.html

"the 11” model of the MacBook Air is fine to leave in your bag, and the 13” model must be removed prior to X-ray screening."

16. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Why would tha TSA treat the Macbook 12 any differently than any other laptop?

Buy a TSA-approved sleeve if you want but don't throw a tantrum when the TSA asks you to take it out anyway.

And always an option as mentioned, sign up with Global Entry.

17. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

A laptop is a laptop. There are laptops with 8-9 inch screens, but they are still laptops. They all need to be taken out.

18. rapicell macrumors regular

It really depends on the screeners. When I was traveling to California this past november, the airport I was leaving from asked me to remove my laptop. On the way back home, the airport I left from in california told me to keep my laptop in my bag so the line would move quicker.

19. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

They do treat small laptops differently. Leave 11" & 12" devices in your bags and most of the time there will be no issue.

Of course if it makes you feel more comfortable to remove them, go for it. Some folks don't want even the potential for a rescan. Personally, I leave it and only remove and rescan upon request.

Cheers,

20. lo100469 macrumors member

Try Frankfurt or London Heathrow....

21. panzer06, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2015

panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

The only good thing about this new Mac is laptops 12" of smaller don't have to be removed from carry on bags to be scanned separately.

From the TSA Blog.

For laptops that need to come out of your bag, we describe them as a “standard size” laptop – which loosely translates into approximately 12x14” or larger. We’re not measuring every laptop that comes through the checkpoint but that is the general dimensions of what we consider to be standard size. Also, the larger the laptop, the more stuff that can be hidden in it. So if your laptop is approximately 12x14” or larger it must be removed from the bag, but remember, if you choose to leave the smaller ones in your bag, our officers still need to be able to see clearly on the X-ray what else is in the bag with your laptop, so there is always a chance they might ask you to remove it to give them that clearer view. ~

Since the new MB is approx 11"x8" it should not be a problem leaving it in your luggage.