12" Macbook Freezes

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jazz1, Jun 16, 2015.

1. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

Well I'm doing a complete OS X clean reinstall after doing a simple OS X install. Unfortunately the freezes kept on coming after the non-clean reinstall. So I took the "burn it to the ground" approach after calling Apple Care (who recommended this approach).

I don't know if it was third party software causing the freeze, so I'll run it without installing any new software. I assume I'll have to download Apple's free software that came with the computer?

As a back-up I've scheduled an Apple Genius visit in case this doesn't work.

Anyone else having issues with freezing. Note the force quit window did not show any open applications not responding.

2. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

The initial batch of rMB`s did on 10.10.2. i set my own 1.2 rMB up from "scratch" without any glitches. Are you did encrypt the drive with FileVault 2 as this tripped up a number of new owners, with the system halting/freezing for 20-30 minutes, Apple did release a tech note on the same subject.

Here:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204755

Q-6

3. jazz1 thread starter macrumors 65816

jazz1

Thanks for the response. Originally this Macbook was set up in the Apple Store, and FileVault was turned off. I almost missed this on the second install go around. So thanks!

Well so far so good. I have not installed anything else other than an Apple, Apple Store update. I'll use it for a few days and slowing install some third part stuff like CleanMyMac3. I was running the beta of Office and loved it, but maybe my troubles started when an update stalled/froze my machine. Got to love those betas ;)

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Sounds good - until you mentioned CleanMyMac3 :D
    T'would be one to avoid (and you listed it first for some reason - made me shiver, just a little.)
    CleanMyMac is often mentioned in the same breath as MacKeeper
    Lots of posts here, usually about the well-deserved poor reputation.
    One example - http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/what-is-mac-keeper-app.1380905/

5. jazz1, Jun 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2015

jazz1 thread starter macrumors 65816

jazz1

I'm aware of MacKeeper. It is awful. I have not had problems with CleanMyMac on my iMac or late 2009 MBP. Maybe there is something about my 2015 Macbook that is having problems with it. I'll run this clean install for a week and add CleanMyMac to see if it starts freezing. Thanks for all of the help!

6. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

New hardware, Beta software coincidental, equally possible. I installed the majority of my applications and data (350Gb+) in literally two days. Am Running Office 2011 with no issue, I would be wary of Clean my Mac, as it get`s both positive and negative comment.

n.b. if you are not running FileVault 2, it`s worthwhile setting the firmware password, to protect your data. Effectively FV2 is redundant on the RMB as the SSD is a fixed component of the Logic Board.

Q-6

7. jazz1 thread starter macrumors 65816

jazz1

Well I had freezing again after clean install. Apple Genius Bar ran diagnostic testing for two days. They said no problems found. Got it home did a clean install, and freezing again within two hours. I called AppleCare, and tech. guy said it was probably Adobe Flash. He claimed in all probability that when I did a clean install and updated Flash was not on my Macbook, and that causes problems.

So far so good, but the tech. guy's explanation did not explain why this started in the first place, as I had Flash updated automatically. So I'm using this 12" and waiting to see if there are more freezes or not.

Frankly, my 2012 iMac and late 2009 Macbook have no problems with Flash. Apple is not ready to replace this machine yet, but it it freezes again I'll be looking for a replacement or refund. Oddly my iPad Air 2 (when they first came out) went through this same scenario, and they finally had to replacement. I guess buying new models is really the "Bleeding Edge".

8. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

There might be good reasons why OS X doesn't come with flash player installed. You have to choose to install that yourself.

Does your MB work better (no freezes) after you uninstall Flash Player?

9. jimboutilier macrumors 6502a

I've been using Clean My Mac 3 on my MBA and MacMini for quite a while without issues and find it effective and useful. I restored my TM MBA image to my rMB without issue and have been using CMM3 on my rMB for the month I've had it with no issues (flash too for that matter)

I doubt your issue is either of those programs but your approach of not installing third party software to see is sound.

Hopefully Apple can get it figured out and fixed quickly.

10. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

Not to derail the thread, but what exactly is the purpose of these utilities? It seems like an unnecessary solution to a problem that doesn't exist on a Unix based system? I mean the concept seems to be carried over from Windows registry cleaning utilities that identified and eliminated redundant and unused dll's...

11. jimboutilier macrumors 6502a

As this is a bit OT I'll be as brief as I can in answering your question.

I think you are right that Unix based OSs tend to require less user intervention in maintenance activities over time. For instance OSX has daily, weekly, and monthly jobs that will run overnight that perform various "cleaning" activities. But not everyone leaves their notebooks on and running overnight regularly so even these automated processes can be delayed or bypassed inadvertently. And these automated scripts don't cleanup and fix "everything".

I'm sure there are a LOT of Mac users out there that don't own any system maintenance utilities and perform no regular user maintenance. I can't say for sure if they have any significantly better or worse overall time of things than those of us that invest in tools and time to perform regular user maintenance. That said, I definitely do see benefits and values in some of the specific things tools like CleanMyMac3 offer (although there are usually other ways to accomplish these either though the OS utilities, Terminal, manually etc).

CleanMyMac3 gets a good review (four mice) in the latest issue (July 2015) Macworld. It pulls together a number of tools I used to buy and run separately at a lower overall price. Note its very configurable, gives you complete control and prompting if desired and only prompts occasionally (monthly or so) to run. Its main areas of functionality are:
    • System junk - removes/rebuilds old cache files (can temporarily slow the system but gets rid of any corruption so reduces cascading errors over time), gets rid of old log files (saves disk space and backup time/space, and the MAC routinely logs a LOT of material), removes unused application binaries (where some parts of something may have been removed but other bits hang around), removes unused language files (localizations in apps reducing app size for faster loading apps that take up less disk space), deletes corrupted preference files etc.
    • Photo junk - finds and assists in deleting multiple copies/versions of photos (saves space and prevents the annoyance of figuring out which version of a photo you are looking for, need to edit etc).
    • Mail attachments - deletes the attachments of emails you've deleted (saving disk space and making MAIL more efficient)
    • iTunesJunk - deletes old iOS backups, old software updates, removes broken downloads, etc that usually no longer serve any purpose. Again mostly saves disk space and maybe helps iTunes be a bit less cluttered.
    • Trash bins - empties all bins for all drives instantly (avoiding some Finder errors)
    • Large and Old files - identifies large and/or old files and assists you in removing them (disk space and clutter saver).
    • Uninstaller - just throwing an app in the trash (or even running its uninstaller) can leave bits and pieces of it around - preference files, daemons, helpers, etc and this does a bit better (but not always perfect job) of removing things. Again a bit of disk space and items that can be wasting time in your startup flow
    • Maintenance - does a disk check/repair, repairs disk permissions, forces maintenance script runs, reindexes spotlight
    • Privacy - clears your browser and chat histories
    • Extensions - walks you through various types of extensions (finder, browser, dictionaries, screen savers, login items etc and assists you in removing the ones you no longer need or want
    • Shredder - secure delete
    This is a relatively inexpensive set of tools all in one spot that helps minimize system clutter, correct issues, and maximize performance and efficiency. Its not night and day, but it does help. And most of these things you could do in other ways without purchasing tools but this makes it regular and convenient. And no, I don't work for whoever makes CleanMyMac3 - lol

12. Queen6, Jun 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2015

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

FYI, If your Mac is not up and running at the time of a scheduled Maintenance Script, they are simply delayed, the OS subsequently runs the Maintenance Script`s when the system is next woken. Therefore, they should run without any intervention.

You can check when last run by opening Terminal and executing ls -al /var/log/*.out

Q-6