Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your 12" MacBook makes rattling noise when tilted?

• Yes

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • No

Votes: 30 69.8%

• Total voters

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
This issue has been discussed numerous times with no real solution:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/something-rattles-inside-when-i-tilt-the-macbook.2052987/

So does your MacBook makes rattling/clicking noise (as if something is loose inside the screen) when you tilt it?

Mine does that,I've taken it to Apple,at first they said it's normal and due to mechanism of Taptic trackpad, when I showed them other MacBooks that were not making this noise they agreed there is a problem and replaced the screen TWICE.
they even replaced the whole LogicBoard with SSD attached,but the rattling is still there.

So I want to find out how widespread this problem is? and why such an expensive and premium device should suffer from such primitive problems that no one can sort out?

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Well that was two screens and a logic board totally wasted: it's the batteries! Very common. It isn't a fault other than being annoying if it bothers you. Can be fixed by re-adhering the batteries to the top-case however this may require a full battery replacement.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
Well that was two screens and a logic board totally wasted: it's the batteries! Very common. It isn't a fault other than being annoying if it bothers you. Can be fixed by re-adhering the batteries to the top-case however this may require a full battery replacement.
it's not the batteries because when I "hold" the screen with my fingers there is no rattle.
so definitely something loose inside the display panel.
some people say it's the so called "light guide" plastic sheet that is attached using small piece of adhesive, it gets detached and hangs loose causing the noise.it's happening with 2016 upward MacBooks and Macbook Pros apparently.
but not all of them.
so frustrating that they can't fix it.

Graham Perks

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2003
Austin, TX
I never had a problem until I just swayed it side-to-side to see if I could hear anything. Now it knocks with each little tilt.

To me it sounds like it's coming from between the keyboard and screen.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
I never had a problem until I just swayed it side-to-side to see if I could hear anything. Now it knocks with each little tilt.

To me it sounds like it's coming from between the keyboard and screen.
try holding the screen between your fingers and see if the noise stops.
mine does, hence why I believe it's from the screen.

SidBoggle

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2007
Bucks, UK
Yes I have this problem on my 2017 macbook. It is very annoying and I just hope nothing is getting damaged when I am moving it around.

My 2015 Macbook did not do this.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
brought it to Apple Store again and this time Apple technician told me it's within the specs and normal.
it's unacceptable,since it doesn't happen with all of MacBooks.
and why they replaced my display and logic board if the noise is normal?

since there is no way to find out which Macbook does have this problem and which not,I've decided to sell the Macbook and buy a nice Windows machine instead.
Apple simply does not have a high quality and problem-free laptop at the moment.S
Matebook X,Surface Pro,Galaxy Book or XPS 13 are being considered.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
I have this too. But think it's a magnet coming loose.

But to hear it I have to turn it upside down. So it doesn't really matter cos this is an unusual movement for using the Mb.
When do u hear it?

effineji

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2017
Germany
Last time I shook it, it did not rattle. However, I tried again when I saw the new posts on this thread and noticed mine rattles too! I understand to want your new things to be perfect, but when would you be shaking the laptop vigorously from side to side? I just won't let it get to me, and really, there's no downside for it to rattle if I shake it like that.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
Last time I shook it, it did not rattle. However, I tried again when I saw the new posts on this thread and noticed mine rattles too! I understand to want your new things to be perfect, but when would you be shaking the laptop vigorously from side to side? I just won't let it get to me, and really, there's no downside for it to rattle if I shake it like that.
doesn't need to be shaken vigorously..
simply tilting it from left to right causes the plastic sheet in display to move and rattle and make the knocking noise. Just adjusting how I sit on my couch would cause this, and I'd feel the plastic thud with my hands + the hear the noise.
if this was a cheap budget laptop I'd probably accept this design flaw but it's simply not acceptable for a premium and very expensive laptop.

Koudspeel

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2013
This is my second 2017 rMB and both my MacBooks don't have this behavior. I tried tilting left, right and up down, etc. Pretty much all angles both vigorously and slow..

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
as I said earlier,I took the 12" MacBook to Apple Store,they replaced the screen and logic board but that didn't fix the problem.
the rattle is still there and it's quite loud and noticeable.
you can even feel the vibration on your hand.

now the Apple tech says this is within specs! and normal as some other MacBooks do that.and they cannot resolve the issue.

that's just ridiculous.

watch this new video after display and logic board replacement ,no vigorous shaking is needed just everyday handling :

SidBoggle

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2007
Bucks, UK
as I said earlier,I took the 12" MacBook to Apple Store,they replaced the screen and logic board but that didn't fix the problem.

now the Apple tech says this is within specs! and normal as some other MacBooks do that.and they cannot resolve the issue.

that's just ridiculous.

watch this new video after display and logic board replacement ,no vigorous shaking is needed just everyday handling :

Yes mine does the same. Bloody annoying.

James.K.Polk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2015

that's just ridiculous.

That is a lot louder than I expected. I'm with you on the iPhone 7 to SE switch and am thinking of picking up the 12" MB to replace a 15" Pro but... hmm

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Have you ever watched a single video of this issue? When a gently tilted MacBook says „knock” ... „knock” ... it's a bad joke...
Yes I have. The computer is clearly working perfectly fine? You could stop moving your machine 180° up and down and use it instead, so it won't make a sound?

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Yes, it works, but do you think that this behavior is in line with Apple's values? Yes / No?
Yes I pretty much do. It is such a minor issue that the vast majority that have it won't even notice it, or care much. If you are paranoid about it, you can of course just go and get it exchanged. Loose parts that doesn't affect the machine, but make a noise when moving a computer/phone/whatever around has been around forever, just search the forums.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
Yes I have. The computer is clearly working perfectly fine? You could stop moving your machine 180° up and down and use it instead, so it won't make a sound?
as others have mentioned,IF your machine is affected by this flaw, you will notice it every time you pick it up, move it, tilt it.basically during everyday normal handling.
if you don't care about a loud rattle noise and the sensation of something moving loose inside your $$$ premium laptop that was supposed to be near perfect, I have nothing more to say to you.
it's not about "working fine" I mean it's not a $200 budget netbook we are talking about.
so if you bought a Ferrari,and the engine clanks and bangs every time you turn left or right but the car still drives fine, you find that ok?

Koudspeel

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2013
as others have mentioned,IF your machine is affected by this flaw, you will notice it every time you pick it up, move it, tilt it.basically during everyday normal handling.
if you don't care about a loud rattle noise and the sensation of something moving loose inside your $$$ premium laptop that was supposed to be near perfect, I have nothing more to say to you.
it's not about "working fine" I mean it's not a $200 budget netbook we are talking about.
so if you bought a Ferrari,and the engine clanks and bangs every time you turn left or right but the car still drives fine, you find that ok?
Please stop feeding him. He's obviously trolling. Luckily my MacBook doesn't do this, but I feel for you OP. Good call on selling the thing and looking elsewhere.

Reactions: ColdShadow

Koudspeel

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2013
another video from another 12" Macbook owner with same problem :

Actually.. now that I tried again I can feel something moving inside. When I listen really closely I can hear something ticking real softly.

EDIT: You know what, I will return my MacBook since I'm still in my 14 day return period. I don't want to risk this thing getting damaged over time by this issue. Will probably get a MacBook Pro instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.