12" MacBook Spill Test

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by rhyzome, Jan 11, 2017.

1. rhyzome macrumors regular

Has anyone damaged their 12" MacBook with a spill? Has anyone spilled something on their 12" MacBook and had it survive unscathed?

What is your experience with water and the 12" MacBook?

Obvi, Apple did not designate these waterproof devices, but iPhones were relatively waterproof before the 7, and the MacBook's design with less mechanical buttons, ports and vents makes water-sealing seem more plausible.

2. Picapau21 macrumors 6502

Spilt a couple of drops of water and coffee on the keyboard with no issues. Not really something I'm keen to be first one to test o_O

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I definitely wouldn't recommend spilling anything on a Mac keyboard - there's no protection at all and the forums are full of people who have killed them with a few drops of liquid

4. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

Use low glasses if you insist on having it on the desk near your laptop. I learned my lesson with wine glasses that are tall and easy to tip over. Now if I drink wine I use a tumbler. If you use a glass with a low center of gravity you virtually eliminate spilling it by bumping the glass.

Spill free and drunk on wine for over 5 years now.

5. Precursor macrumors 6502a

Precursor

Spilled coffee, immediately cleaned with paper tissues. Keys were sticky for a week but got looser by usage