12" MB 2015 running Windows 10 Bootcamp experiences

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Ka Tec, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Ka Tec macrumors newbie

Hi I just received my 12"MB 2015, 1.3ghz and so far my very first impression is gorgeous!

At the same time, also owning a SP3 I upgraded to the new windows 10 where I've been very impressed with the new windows operating system. Therefore I'm contemplating putting Windows 10 on my mb via bootcamp. I'm a heavy MS office user(including Access and excel) and I will also be using the computer to develop webapps with sublime editor and chrome along with apache,mysql and writing in angular JS front end and PHP backend. I also do some light work on adobe illustrator and adobe photoshop. Other uses are surfing the net and watching movies (I would play games but my wife would leave me=).

So before I fork out the $180 to buy windows 10, I would like to hear other people's experience running windows 10 in bootcamp? In particular:
    - Battery life expectancy vs OSX
    - Performance
    - Trackpad using driver Trackpad++
    - Any other driver issues

Ultimately I would like to know whether I will see a big downfalls using windows 10 instead of the current OSX.... spending so much money on the MB I want to ensure I use it at its full potential. Thanks in advance.

2. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Based on your potential workflow, I may feel very sorry for your choice since new Macbook is super underpowered and thus this machine is not suitable for some of your usage, say mysql development.

But if you simply use it as simple coding, Microsoft office suits use, light photoshop use, and this new Macbook is enough, at least it would not waste much of your time on waiting.

And, you can download windows 10 enterprise evaluation to check if windows can meet your need before deciding to purchase it.

By the way, Windows 10 is by far the best windows system, as great as windows 7. I say this because software compatibility is not so great as windows 7.

3. Cozz macrumors newbie

From here all works great. Just perform the clean install, as trackpad stopped worked for me after upgrade to Windows 10. The performance is as good as expected from such weak CPU. The Trackpad++ drivers work great, it's awesome to call Task View and switch desktops with those four finger swipes. One thing I don't use Bluetooth at all but I've heard it isn't working properly for some reason. What else? Battery life? Lasts very long, I don't think there's any real advantage in OS X over Windows 10.

4. Ka Tec thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the heads up with Windows 10 Enterprise Shirasaki. I've downloaded it and about to the upgrade. I'm finding the macbook w OSX a bit frustrating even simple things like using the web-browser seems slow compared to my i5 Surface Pro 3 despite having the 1.3ghz version. I'm hoping to get a better result with windows 10. Lucky I've got 13 more days to try before I return it which I hope not.
    Also in regards to mysql I currently run LAMP on ubunto via Vmware on my surface Pro 3. I have 2 gigs of ram and 4 total core processors allocated and it runs fine. If I install windows 10, I will run a WAMP server instead and with theory that will have comparable performance even on the M core.

Cozz thanks for the your comments, I hope to try the upgrade tonight and will also report back on my tests. Your comments on the Trackpad++ and battery life, it gives me more confidence as that was my most biggest concerns.

Will report back my experiences later.

5. Ka Tec, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2015

Ka Tec thread starter macrumors newbie

Just installed windows 10 enterprise, all I can say is wow, chalk and cheese when compared with Yosemite. It's so snappy! Only minor issue is trackpad zoom which is not as smooth than in OSX but that is about it. Still early days but I'm happy so far. Also for anyone interested geekbench 3 test on windows 10 64bit, Macbook 1.3ghz 2015 score is:

Single-Core Score
    Multi-Core Score
    Geekbench 3.3.2 Tryout for Windows x86 (32-bit)

6. sw6lee macrumors regular

How is the battery life? I'm trying find out if the battery life will be good on MBA 2013 11inch. When I had windows 8.1 on bootcamp a long time ago, the battery life was shortened to about 5-6 hours, where I had about 10 hours on OS X.

How is it with windows 10? For me, my main usage is MS Office, Web browsing, YouTube (mostly 1080p with HTML5), Messaging, Email, Sometimes photoshop, Sometime Eclipse (android development). and NO gaming.
    Brightness maybe 70?

Thanks in advance!