Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BraytonAK

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2011
I removed the Fitness app from my 12 mini with iOS 14.3 because I didn’t think I’d ever touch it. I was curious about Fitness+ so I went to the App Store to reinstall the app. For some reason it says my device lacks required features so I can’t install it. My husband’s 12 Pro Max does have the app, so I find this odd. Any ideas? Am I just misunderstanding how to access it?

C1DBB4D6-68D3-49A9-8719-FD2BDCE92A48.png

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
I assume this is some sort of software screwup, all too common these days from Apple.

I have a 12 mini; during the setup I restored from an previous iPhone XS backup. Lo and behold, the Fitness/Activity app never showed up.

Apple will probably fix this sometime in 2021 but I would not dare take a guess which month it would be.

RAMM

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2016
Chicago
I removed the Fitness app from my 12 mini with iOS 14.3 because I didn’t think I’d ever touch it. I was curious about Fitness+ so I went to the App Store to reinstall the app. For some reason it says my device lacks required features so I can’t install it. My husband’s 12 Pro Max does have the app, so I find this odd. Any ideas? Am I just misunderstanding how to access it?

View attachment 1698451
Do you have an Apple Watch paired to that iPhone 12 Mini? Apple Watch Series 3 (minimum) is a requirement to use the Fitness app in general and to try out Fitness+ in particular.

Edit: Apple Watch Series 3 (minimum) is required to run Fitness+ on Apple TV, but users can still access Fitness+ without a watch present only on iPhone or iPad (after downloading the Fitness app from the App Store).

Last edited:

BraytonAK

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2011
No, I don't have a watch. I was considering one, which is why I wanted to look in the app. But if the app is off-limits without a watch I guess I just won't be looking into it.

RAMM

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2016
Chicago
Fitness+ is not off limits without an Apple Watch, the issue is that without a watch, users can’t install the Fitness app from the App Store (it errors with the “missing features” message). You would have been able to sample Fitness+ on your iPhone if you hadn’t deleted the app, as Fitness+ can run on iPhone/iPad (not on Apple TV) without a watch being present.

Oh well, you can still sample Fitness+ using your husband’s setup. My wife has a watch but it’s old and not compatible, so she’s going to wear my watch to try out Fitness+.

BraytonAK

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2011
Thanks, RAMM, that’s exactly what I learned late last night in a chat with Apple support.

About borrowing the watch... That would give him undue credit in his app. I just can’t let that happen, can I? 😜 Every man for himself!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.