12 Months Free With AppleCare Repair

MacTimLA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2019
I have an iPhone Xs Max that is still under AppleCare+ coverage. I dropped it, the back was cracked, but the front was fine so I put off getting it fixed. A couple weeks ago though, I took it to the Genius Bar to get it fixed. To my surprise, they just gave me a brand new phone instead of replacing the case. Okay, fine by me. I paid my $99 or $129 or whatever it was and was on my way.

Today, a notification popped up on my phone that my purchase entitled me to 12 months of AppleTV+ for free. I thought that was for new devices only and I figured I would take advantage whenever I upgraded my phone next. But I guess the AppleCare repair triggered their system (I haven't bought anything else recently). Not bad and I'm looking forward to checking out the few shows they've released so far.

saudor

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2011
since they gave you a refurb, the backend probably doesnt differentiate it from buying an apple device from the refurb store or applecare. This happened to me during the days of free iWorks to new devices - a warranty replacement got me the free apps.