12" (or smaller) MB or MBP eventually?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by unclepunk, Jun 14, 2007.

1. unclepunk macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

I really am the portrait of frustration right now. I've wanted to switch to a Mac for the longest time, coming from a windows/unix background. I've been waiting for a refresh on the Mini to use as a media center but Apple may kill it off.

More importantly, the laptops. They get rid of the 12" Powerbook and the closest offering is a 15"? I understand that the Macbooks have a smaller display but they're also over 5lbs. Nothing under 5lbs? I want something close to the functionality of my Fujitsu Lifebook P7120. ~3 lbs. I don't have to think twice about bringing it with me. As beautiful as the LED display is in the new Macbook Pro's, I can't just throw it into my bag when I'm going to work as an afterthought.

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

IF the rumors are true, then there's one coming....just be patient :)

3. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

Since you really want an Apple ultraportable, you could always buy a used 12" PowerBook G4 from ebay. Also give it more ram. It would still be a good computer.

4. unclepunk thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys... the wait is *killing* me!

Sorry about the double thread post :rolleyes:

5. Igantius macrumors 65816

I like how you capitalised 'if' :D

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I think it is coming, but it could be years. iPhone was rumors for a long long time, Safari for Windows too. It wasn't as big of a rumor, but I remember read a report from like '03/'04 about Safari coming to Windows( was around the time iTunes went to Windows if I recall)

7. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I doubt it would be years, I think Apple would need to move faster in the portable area, especially when people are uncomfortable with its current lineup lacking a true ultraportable.

8. operator macrumors regular

I'm also waiting (and have been for a long time) for an ultraportable pro machine. In the meantime, I went for the Blackbook with 2GB of Ram. I'm really happy with it so far. It is a bit bulky compared to my previous 12" iBook, but it is small enough to bring around. I'll be traveling all over South America with mine starting in August.

9. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Thats true....Apple seems like their laptops are their focus, and people know they are in the laptop market, cell phones(iPhone) was a new market for them, and not everyone was waiting for Apple Cell Phone.

Then again people have been saying Apple needs a Mid range desktop, and that is still not here

10. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Yeah people have been harping about that for longer and we don't have it!