12" PB Died - What to replace it with

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cheekyducky, Mar 11, 2008.

1. cheekyducky macrumors newbie

My 12" powerbook failed recently. Disk Warrior reports a hardware failure in target mode and finder doesn't even see it. I know I can just replace the hard drive, but my 12" is about 4 years old and is probably due to be replaced. So, here's the question - do you think a 12" MBP is in the works and I should replace the HD and wait or do you think they've killed to 12" altogether?

On top of that, I type a lot and I don't find the MB keyboard appealing at all. All I really want is something with the same footprint as my 12" with a very similar feel to the keyboard. At this point I'm almost open to Windows options :eek:.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!!!!

Shannon

2. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

Exact same position I was last year; got a BlackBook and don't regret it. I revived mine so that I could make a some bucks from it and used it for a while, its slooow as hell when compared to my 2GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook. I got used to the keyboard in a couple of weeks and I find it just awesome. Highly doubt the 12" will come back, unfortunately.

Victor

3. joekix macrumors 6502

joekix

as a owner of 3 computers (see sig.), i use my powerbook 90% of the time. the size is perfect and it's still pretty snappy. i say you upgrade the hdd. i just upgraded mine to 160gb. you can't let the almighty powerbook die, you just can't... :D

4. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

His (Hers?) PB could not be maxed out like yours (1.25GB) so really just upgrading the HDD (which is not so easy to do) won't make it snappier. Of course, if the OP goes for a MBP he wouldn't regret it at all (nor with the MB, but MBP>MB)

Victor

5. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

most people i know who said they don't like the MB keyboard get used to it very quickly. like most keyboards (at least with me), you probably won't realize after a few seconds that it's different.

i agree that you should replace the drive. there's nothing like the 12" PB.

if you want to upgrade, don't discount the MB. if you must get a Windows-based machine, Lenovo (previously IBM) ThinkPads are best.

6. tony-in-japan macrumors regular

Same thing happened to me 6 months ago. The hard-drive died in my 12" Powerbook after 4+ years. What I did was I replaced it with a new Seagate Momentus Hard-drive (very cheap!) which gave me double capacity. Also, actually, it made my PB more snappy when saving and opening files, so I disagree with the post above (because the 4-year-old HD that was originally in the PB was slow).

My advice is to replace the HD in the powerbook no matter what you choose to do as they still have market value and you can use the money for your upgrade if you choose not to keep it.

As for the keyboard, personally, I think the keyboard on the powerbook series is the best Apple has made. But recently, I tried typing on a MBA and was impressed. It seems the keyboard on the MBA is slighting different to the MBs. The keys are lower-set and it just feels better typing on it.

Anyway, for my own upgrade path from a 12" PB, I am just going to see what happens within the year. I am waiting for either a 13" aluminium Macbook OR the second revision Macbook Air. I don’t think Apple will release a 12" laptop now as they seem very keep on the widescreen format, so I think it is either one of those 13" laptops for me in the near-future.

7. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I agree with the others here, I think it's unlikely that we'll see another 12" laptop from Apple anytime soon. Consider that their latest, greatest "ultra portable" sports a 13.3" screen...

If I were in your position, I would replace the hard drive and sell my 12" PowerBook and put the cash towards a MacBook. I don't know how much time you've spent with a MacBook but I actually prefer it's keyboard over those of the 12" PowerBooks.

8. cheekyducky thread starter macrumors newbie

Damn, not even 1 rumor about a revamped 12" line? I guess it's really been put down (say it ain't so). Thanks for all your help, I think I'm going to replace the HD and toy around some more with the MB.

Shannon

BTW - I'm am indeed a "she".

9. Unconsoled macrumors regular

My 12" PB died back in January and I replaced it with a MBA. I love it. The keyboard is nicer to type on than the Macbook I think. My wife still has a 12" PB and I used it yesterday to transfer stuff to the Time Capsule I just bought and it seemed so awkward and heavy. I love it but my MBA is just a dream compared to it.

My 2 cents....

10. Westsider 4 Mac macrumors regular

Westsider 4 Mac