12" PB: failing RAM slot?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iToaster, May 18, 2008.

1. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

So, my beloved PowerBook has been having a lot of problems recently, the 1 Gb RAM chip is only recognized sometimes, and sometimes it just dies and kernel panics right in the middle of things. I really don't want to buy anything new (I was hoping to wait it out until a 12" MacBook Pro), but is there anything I can do? I'm hoping it's just the chip, but I've heard of RAM slot problems on PowerBooks before, which I really don't want to be happening. Resetting the PSU and reseating the chip will fix it for a while, but the chip will inevitably go. Any ideas? I really don't want to have to replace this one with one from eBay.

If it helps, system profiler says it failed diagnostics, pointing to the RAM slot, and under memory, the slot just shows it as empty.

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

The failing ram slot you are referring to was on the 15" powerbooks. Most likely, the memory dimm you installed is flakey. Are you sure it is fully seated in the slot? I would take it out and reseat it making sure it is all the way in.

3. iToaster thread starter macrumors 68000

iToaster

Yeah, I figured that would be the case, but I fear for the worst. I'll get myself a decent stick of RAM in a couple days, I'm not sure of the brand of mine off the top of my head, but I know I haven't heard of them before. (bought it from somebody)

4. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

OWC has some of the best prices.

(eshop.macsales.com and no I don't work for them)

I purchase a lot from them, disk drives, memory upgrades, etc.