12" PB G4 forgetful since 10.5

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Unconsoled, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Unconsoled macrumors regular

So here is my strange situation. I have an old 12" PB that I hope dies soon (around the time the new ultra-portables come out). Over a year ago or so my port for the power adapter popped, crackled and snapped and then no longer worked. I cannot charge my PB from a power adapter. I have thought about having it fixed but it was cheaper to buy an external battery charger. Well it sucks to have to pull the battery all the time to charge it but I can deal. But the weirdest thing happened when I upgraded to Leopard. It is like every time I pull the battery to charge and install it again it forgets everything. My airport connection is forgotten, date and time reset to default (Wed 4:00PM) and safari preferences reset. I can deal with safari, but I have to manually go in and fix the date and time. As a result mail doesn't find the certificate because it is not valid yet (the date is 1969 and certificate is valid starting 2006), safari won't start and nothing works because the date is all messed up. It can't find my airport so the automatic time doesn't connect and even if I manually set the date and time it doesn't remember it the next time.

I didn't have this problem with Tiger. I don't want to downgrade because I like everything else. More than anything it is just a hassle. The airport issue bugs me. Strange my iPhone remembers my Airport but not the PB.

Any thoughts on a fix?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Brendan

2. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

3. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

Yeah, second the dead pram suggestion. Do you ever have trouble booting up?
    My Powerbook has a dead pram battery and a dead battery. It forgets date and time settings but not Airport... I thought the Airport details were stored on the HDD.

4. Unconsoled thread starter macrumors regular

It takes a long time to boot but no other problem. Where is the pram battery and how do I check to see if it is dead?

5. Unconsoled thread starter macrumors regular

Looks like the 12" powerbooks don't have a pram battery.:mad:

6. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

true. I had to live with this issue for about6 weeks when I was waiting for a battery replacement for the recall. Everytime I moved my computer and turned it on, I would have to re change the time and date.

There is probably a capacitor that allows time to remain for the duration of a battery changeover, but not for any extended amount of time.