12" PB Optical Drive Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Petoz, May 18, 2008.

1. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

I bought a 12" Powerbook G4 from ebay, and collected it yesterday. It is the 867MHz model. I added an Airport Extreme card this morning, as it was not pre installed. The only other problem with the notebook was the fact the optical drive is not working.

I bought it from a guy who knew nothing about Macs, so I am not sure the drive is actually broken, but i dont want to put in a disc, as I dont want it to get stuck. So....

Is there a way to manually eject discs from the Powerbook?

Any suggestions to check if the optical drive is working? Could it possibly be a dodgy connection inside?

I am relatively new to mac, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks for the help in advance.

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

unless you want to plug it into another laptop's connector, the best way to test it is to see if it makes a noise when you turn the computer on, if not, it's busted, but you can get a new one online for $30 or so.

3. Petoz thread starter macrumors 6502

Petoz

It makes a noise on boot up, and shut down i think. That is why I am curious abou it. Is there a way of getting a disc out if it is broken?

4. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

Not easily. At this point, what do you have to lose? If it's bad, you're going to have to replace the drive anyway.

Stick a blank CD in it. You can afford to lose a blank CD, I'm sure...

MacDann