Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I had better type this up before it happens again, this is totally weird.

I just got my new battery, a replacement and I'm charging it now. But while its charging the power connector keeps turning off and I have to unplug it and then plug it back in again for it to work. After this has happened, the internet doesn't work and I have to turn airport off and then on again for it to work as well.

It has repeated on me 3 times now in the space of an hour. Anybody ever have this issue before?

1st EDIT: If it is the power brick then it seems it is a common issue, I've just been to the Apple Store and there are tons of negative reviews for them, anybody know of any reliable 3rd party alternatives?

2nd EDIT: 4th time while editing this post. Argh.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
This is the white square brick with the pop-out tabs to hold the cord on the back, right?

885909115808L.gif

Do you know if rotating it around in the socket helps (as opposed to pulling it out and plugging it back in)? If that's the case, then either the plug or the port is deformed -- one of my two power adaptors got bent at the plug slightly and as a result sometimes that happens to me.

If it's not that, though, then, I dunno. I've never experienced this. I've had one 45W power adaptor (you probably have the bigger one, but should be the same generally) for three years and the other for about a year and a half, and this has never happened with either of them.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I have tried that, that was my first instinct, I rotated it and nothing happened so it was then when I unplugged it. But ever since I took the adapter outside in the cold to cool down (it was hot) and reduced the processor on the laptop, it seems okay and its still charging the replacement battery. But why it knocks off the airport is another mystery.

Of course, I'll keep my eye on it.

By the way, when I mentioned unplugging it in my first post, I didn't explain myself throughly enough, what I was doing was unplugging it from the mains as well as the laptop. Only after disconnecting it from the mains did it start to work again. Yes I have a surge protector. ;)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
My guess is that there's a grounding fault in your laptop -- i.e. something is attached to ground that should not be. If that's the case, even replacing the power supply might not do anything. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.