12" PB to 13" MB, should she do it?...

slick316

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2005
377
28
My sister has a 12" PB G4 (the last ones made) and she saw a black MB today for the first time (in person that is) and she really liked it (looks of course). She wants to sell her PB now for the MB. I think she should just stick it out with the PB since it is one of the last ones made, and its, in my opinion, still a great machine. All she does on it is listen to music in iTunes, play DVD's, and go on the internet.
So question is, right now, would you rather have a 12" Powerbook G4 or a 13.3" Black Macbook?
 

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
2,500
14
127.0.0.1
slick316 said:
My sister has a 12" PB G4 (the last ones made) and she saw a black MB today for the first time (in person that is) and she really liked it (looks of course). She wants to sell her PB now for the MB. I think she should just stick it out with the PB since it is one of the last ones made, and its, in my opinion, still a great machine. All she does on it is listen to music in iTunes, play DVD's, and go on the internet.
So question is, right now, would you rather have a 12" Powerbook G4 or a 13.3" Black Macbook?
1) If I already had a 12" PowerBook, I'd stick with the PowerBook.
2) If I were currently in the market I'd get the MacBook.

For her it's obviously case 1. There's no sense in trading in that beautiful machine.
 

slick316

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2005
377
28
Thats what I told her. Its still a great machine, and hers is aluminum. All she saw was the black, widescreen, different looking keyboard and gloss screen.
MB's not really have any issues anymore, right?
 

ripfrankwhite

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2005
184
5
If she wants to sell the PB, put it on here and we can all bid for it. :) But if I were her, I would just keep it. Powerbooks are great machines.
 

Jakk

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2006
23
0
For me, I would keep the PB G4 for sure.
If she don't need to do anything on windows, I think pb is still better than MB.

Cause of some application still not an universal version yet.
You will be surprise of Rosetta, how it so slow! with 512mb of ram.
But I don't know what it would be if you upgrade the ram to 2gb.
 

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
1,005
0
Wheaton/Normal, IL
I'm selling my 12" PowerBook soon to buy a white MacBook with all possible upgrades as soon as Core 2 Duo is put in them (I can wait until next August at the latest if I have to). I'm just doing it for the processor upgrade and the ability to run certain games on Windows. And even though the PowerBook is a gorgeous computer, the white MacBook takes the best-looking laptop of all time award.

Daniel.

P.S. PM if you're interested in my PB.
 

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
1,695
3
Clovis, California
slick316 said:
So question is, right now, would you rather have a 12" Powerbook G4 or a 13.3" Black Macbook?
The PowerBook. Wouldn't even hesitate. Especially if it's a Revision D.

Why do I feel this way?

Because of this very forum I'm writing in right now.


Revision A MacBooks are junk. Apple Care is sending the bad ones out to 3rd party repair depots and people are getting them sent back all scratched up and in worse shape than before they even started.


Tell your sister to at least wait for a Revision B MacBook, or better yet, a Revision C.
 

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
24,389
114
Location Location Location
If there's nothing wrong with the PB, then keep it. It's still a fast machine, especially for the few things she actually does with it. Mine was a 1GHz machine on it's last legs! It couldn't handle what I wanted to do, and the HD was going a bit screwy.
 

Zimmy

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2005
52
0
I got a 12" PB, Rev A, still going strong, does everything i want it to doo. be it a lil slow but does the job, doing a ram upgrade this weekend.. pusing it up to 1.1gb! whoo hoo.. lol

nah seriously PB are a stable as a elephant, for her there is no need for the current MB, i say wait till Jan, i am sure a newer model will be out then..

ZIm
 

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
9,232
455
NY
eventhough i love the look of the black MP i would keep the powerbook until a rev b is made. Whats in her future, like in two years is she going to be in collge, graduate school. If she's leaving for school i would say stick with that until she's in school and by then have a universal MS office...
 

Silencio

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
2,365
230
NYC
I'm not upgrading from my 1.33GHz 12" PowerBook until Apple comes out with an Intel-based laptop that's the same size or smaller. The MacBook is a compelling offering, but it's too big for my tastes. Thin and light, please!
 

Subiklim

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2006
288
0
Manhattan, New York
I upgraded from a 1.33 12"PB, to the BMB, and it is lightyears better. Faster in ever respect (other than loading photoshop), is more durable, looks better, plays games better, etc. If she has the money, and doesn't mind dropping it, I see no reason for her not to upgrade.
 

McBain

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2003
43
0
Silencio said:
I'm not upgrading from my 1.33GHz 12" PowerBook until Apple comes out with an Intel-based laptop that's the same size or smaller. The MacBook is a compelling offering, but it's too big for my tastes. Thin and light, please!
This is exactly how I feel. I bought my fiancee a MacBook and even though I can feel it's technically the superior machine, I would still rather use my Powerbook. Well, I would if the logic board hadn't died on me recently.

I'm still debating whether I'll get a MacBook Pro or just get a 1.5GHz Powerbook 12" off eBay. I'm leaning towards the latter. I just like the size, and it does everything I need it to (lots of PhotoShop and Office).
 

joshwest

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2005
1,132
2
i sold my 12" pb 1.5 maxed out for my macbook. The MB is nice cause its fast and can do alot when editing. good solid machine and it will hold its value for a min. but i think everyone can agree nothing touches the 12" form factor. now im seeling my imac and macbook to get a 24" imac and going to pick up a used 12" when i put alittle extra with the left over. Cause i have a MBP that goes everywhere with me.. id like to keep it at home and tote around a new 12"
 

drake

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2005
532
0
I wouldn't, at least, not until they get their act together with the macbooks.
 

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
3,859
3
drake said:
I wouldn't, at least, not until they get their act together with the macbooks.
What does that mean? The MacBook is an amazing piece of hardware...
 

arcobb

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2005
249
0
Colorado
Yes. That is exactly what I did. For no other reason then the screen on my 12" was very dark ... I then got used powerbook on ebay and it had the same issues. I love my macbook ... it does absolutely everything. Even Photoshop and Illustrator are great (I do have the RAM maxed out ... what a difference). This is the first computer I've had and not felt like I'm compromising on something and felt wishing it could do something it can't.

So yes, I say she should go for it ... the MB is a superior machine in my opinion.
 

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
2,139
0
Finally I have arrived.....
I agree wih the previous comments on this thread that PB 12" is a solid and reliable machine. Mine is also good. It wakes up from sleep faster than my older Al 15" PB. I liked my 12" PB; so I had to buy a 12" iBook so that I don't have to take my 12" PB out on the road (to prevent the risk of damages).
Even though I have been itching to get the MBP or MB, I have been hesitating to take a plunge as I feel there are to many negative user reviews (reliability issues).
 

bossass

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2006
140
0
I would sell the PB now while it still has a relatively high resale value. I have a MacBook and PB in my home and the MB blows it away. Especially running them with my 20inch ACD. The PB seems really strained when I do this but the MB is super quiet.

At this point, I may however wait for a Core 2 Duo in the MB if I was looking for a new one.