12" PBG4 warming up, need cleaned?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by drewsof07, Oct 15, 2009.

1. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

My powerbook seems to be running a little warmer than it has in the past. I've noticed it progressing slowly since I got it over a year and a half ago. The fans used to hardly ever kick on unless under moderate load (running leopard the whole time), now it seems every time I open safari and just have mail open, the fans are running full blast to keep it cool. And for the record, I have noticed ZERO complications from this as far as graphics glitches, random shutdown or beachballs, nothing like that, it's just annoying that it runs so loud all the time.

I was thinking maybe there was some dust build-up inside causing the temps to stay up and might be able to remove it. I know the heatsink is a straight shot from the rear left side out the back with a single fan. Would it be safe to inject some of the compressed air canisters into the front and rear grilles (with the computer off of course)?

If not, does anyone have any other hints for quieting it (besides disassembling this complicated piece of work)? I was thinking a downgrade to Tiger might help cool a bit, but that still wouldn't treat the problem if there is dust accumulation in this now 5 year old laptop.

2. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

I think there's a timer inside the computer which after 3 or 4 years, makes the computer run more slowly and hotter, to try and make you upgrade ;)

3. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Thermalpaste does get dried up after several years of usage.
    Dust building up might also be a problem.

I'd replace thermalpaste and clean up dust if you plan to use it regularly to extend it's lifetime.

I'd check the GPU thermalpaste too, since my 12-inch Powerbook's GPU did get quite hot

4. drewsof07 thread starter macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Well it's mainly used as a couch computer. Ever been sitting watching television and seen something and wanted to look it up?
    That is what this computer is for. :p

Uck, i was trying to avoid disassembling this thing, as you know there are a bazillion pieces. I disassembled a 12" ibook one time, :( it was horrible... But it worked when I turned it back on ;)

Maybe I'll make this my winter project.
    Thanks for the input! :)