12" Powerbook, 1.25 ghz, 160 GB HD sell?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MrMaverick, Mar 27, 2008.

1. MrMaverick macrumors newbie

Hi everyone.

I'm hoping that some of you might be able to help me out. I would like to upgrade to a macbook, but have a 12" powerbook that I need to sell first. It has 1.25 GB Ram, and 160 GB HD with Leopard. How much should I reasonably be able to ask for this laptop?

It's in PERFECT cosmetic condition, all original accessories (incl. box), and brand new battery.

Any advice would be greatly appreciate!!

Thanks.

2. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

mac2sell.net quotes it as $520, but that's with a combo drive (I guessed). I think that other websites and pricers put it much higher though. I personally wouldn't pay more than $450 for it, but that's because I want a 1.5 GHz model. Some people REALLY want any 12" PB, especially one in as good of shape as yours. My suggestion is to look at where you're selling the powerbook. If you sell it on eBay, expect around $750 or up to $900, but you will have to deal with scammers and weed them out. If you sell it on craigslist, expect somewhere between $500 and $750. And if you sell it on MacRumors once you have enough posts to use the marketplace, then I would say expect similar pricing as craigslist.

Anyway, my suggestion is to start around $750 and be willing to negotiate. Someone might buy it at that price without any negotiating at all. Others, like me, don't think it's worth quite that much and will try to haggle. Expect some lowballers too, people offering $200-$300.

Pricing old Apple products really an art, not a science. You have collectors and vintage lovers that artificially raise the price of older systems. The G4 is pretty outdated, especially with the Air being out, but the 12" form factor remains unlike anything out right now. So, be patient and you should be able to get a good price.

Sorry for such a long/potentially confusing response.