12" Powerbook, 2nd hand with scratches (help plz)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jolla, May 10, 2007.

1. jolla macrumors member

Hi,

I got offered a 12" powerbook, 1.33Ghz, 768MB Ram for a very reasonable price ($400). The laptop does however show some signs of usage.. Next to a little 'crack' in the case and some minor scratches is a spot that looks a bit wierd. As if the paint was 'melted' away... could there be a heat problem? Or is there something else that caused this? I attached a photo.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bartelby macrumors Core

The scratches on the left look like they're from a watch or bracelet and the pitting on the right is a known issue. Something to do with a reaction of the paint from sweat and such.

The gaps are probably just warping from heat.

It just looks like a well used laptop to me.

3. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

As far as the top that's a common problem on aluminum powerbooks. It's called pitting, where by perspiration from your hands eats away at the anodized aluminum. My powerbook has this, though not quite to that degree and I've seen it countless times before. I wouldn't let that deter you as it's only cosmetic, sounds like a good deal to me.

4. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

I agree with what the other two guys said about the scratching and pitting.

However, I don't think it is a good deal.

I got the PB in my sig (in perfect condition - not a single mark), for under $400, which granted was a good deal. I would factor in the cost of a new palmrest - I just couldn't concentrate working on that thing in the state it is in - which could cost another $60-$100.

Try knock the seller down a bit.

David

5. dcv macrumors G3

This isn't related to the scratches or anything but looking at the photos the previous owner obviously didn't take great care of it and may not have bothered checking out whether the battery was due for a replacement under the exchange programme... you might want to check out the serial number just in case.